22

The cool night air swept through the trimmed bushes on the rarely silent Water 7 sidewalks. A dry sensation settled on Shinji's nostrils as he took a deep breath, his eyes following the canals that gleamed beneath the faint glow of a few nearby light poles.

"Nice night, isn't it?" He turned to Kuina, who walked beside him. 

She simply hummed. He couldn't quite tell wether she did it approvingly or contemptuously, but it was something. Shinji cocked his head slightly, a hint of playfulness crossing his features. 

"You know... I expected a 'thank you' after helping you out with the police." 

"Shut up." She said, the tremor in her voice softening some of its tautness. Her arms were wrapped tightly around herself, her body shivering despite the fair weather. Shinji noticed this, raising an eyebrow. 

"You okay?" He stopped on his tracks, his eyes digging into hers for an answer, tough she simply shoved him off. "I'm fine." She continued to walk, but her response didn't quite click with the prince, who fell in step beside her, inching closer.

"You sure?"

She opened her mouth to speak, but her teeth trilled as a violent shudder ran through her spine. Shinji's brow deepened in concern, noticing the beads of sweat perspiring from her temple. 

She was caught off guard as he reached and placed a hand over her forehead. "What the hell are you doing?"

"You're burning up..." he muttered. "That's not good." 

"I don't mind." She turned her head, leaving his hand hovering midair. "That ass-reindeer said it would happen."

"I know, but that doesn't mean you should ignore it." His hand ventured into one of the bags they brought from the pharmacy, groping its contents with a confidence that didn't quite reach his eyes, drawing a snort from the swordswoman.  

"Come on... there has to be something here..." His tongue stuck out in concentration, pouring such focus on the task that he didn't notice how Kuina's fever only worsened. 

She groaned, further tightening the grip around herself. After what felt like hours of frantic rummaging, Shinji finally paused, realizing this wasn't the right place for a remedy hunt. Guilt gnawed at him as he witnessed Kuina's struggle.

In a single, deliberate motion, he shed his coat and draped it gently over her shoulders.

Kuina stiffened at first, unsure on how to react. "Oi, no need to get all embarrassed." Shinji chuckled, gently adjusting it so it wouldn't slip off. "Just a little something to keep you warm while we're out." 

It took her a moment to fully realize the gesture. Slowly, she found herself adjusting to the comfortable weight of the garment, which offered momentary relief from her discomfort. 

"Than... forget it."

"Anytime, Mrs. Bushido. Just let me know if you need anything else." 

"Mhm." 

She brought her gaze newly to the path ahead, though she couldn't shake off the strange flutter of her chest at Shinji's attentiveness. "That idiot." She snorted, though deep down, she kind of appreciated the way in which he'd always watch out for her, specially after her diagnosis. 

And so, they continued walking, their pace leisurely despite the relatively late hour. Right now, they were focusing on picking Junsui up at the shipyard, reaching the main station, where they'd meet with Xavier, take the sea train, and finally, head to the hostel.  

After a few minutes, they stood at the center of the Galley-la skyscraper. The glass doors were shattered from the previous pirate attack, however, for Shinji and Kuina, it was a rather baffling sight. There, at the center of the lobby, was precisely Junsui, discussing with Paulie about the Glorious Autumn's current state.