101-110

Chapter 101 Cave
Du Ruo drank cornmeal porridge and ate some freshly picked vegetables from the garden. She felt refreshed and thought it was good. "I'll just eat this. You don't need to prepare anything else. Why don't I see your eldest brother?"

"He went to work and only came back two or three times a year. He worked as a bricklayer in the city just to keep his mouth shut." Sister Cheng looked at Du Ruo and said, "Sister, if you have any work, please introduce some to me. Thank you, sister."

"Okay, if anyone needs someone to do the work, I'll let him find you."

Sister Cheng nodded happily: "Then thank you in advance, big sister."

After lunch, Du Ruo wanted to take a walk in the village. Sister Cheng said, "Just go ahead. I have some work to do. There's nothing to do in our village, and there aren't many people. You won't get lost if you walk away. But there's one thing: don't go to the mountains behind."

"Are there still jackals, tigers and leopards in this mountain?" Du Ruo asked half-jokingly.

Sister Cheng said, "There are no wolves, tigers or leopards. We are just worried that you might get lost on your first trip into the mountains. You are not as familiar with the terrain as we are."

Du Ruo said she understood. She walked slowly towards Sister Cheng's house. The village was not big. There were connected houses and independent houses. There were several houses next to each other, and some were lonely in the distance.

It was noon and most of the villagers were taking a break, with only a few children playing games under the shade of the trees.

The children all had a few glass marbles in their hands, with colorful beads mixed in. This was...

It happened that a child flicked out a small bead in his hand. Du Ruo bent down to pick it up and asked with a smile: "This is quite beautiful. Where did you get it?"

The children didn't know her, and they gathered in groups of three or four. The timid ones didn't say anything, while the bolder ones said, "We picked them up from the Hetao area." After the child said that, he secretly glanced at Du Ruo's face.

Du Ruo's dress and temperament were different from those of the villagers, and the children felt a little restrained when they saw her.

Du Ruo smiled, took out a dollar from his pocket, and handed it to a tall kid: "Go to the store and buy some popsicles. Let's have one each."

The child didn't dare to take it. Du Ruo said, "I live in the Cheng family in front. I'm not a bad person."

There are many child kidnappings these days, and adults in the family will tell their children from a young age not to let beggars take them away, so children are all wary.

When the tall kid heard Du Ruo say that she lived in the Cheng family in front, he breathed a sigh of relief and touched the back of his head: "Are you a relative of Aunt Cheng? You treated us to popsicles, this is too much money."

The popsicles sold in the village store are all five cents each. There are only seven or eight children here, and one dollar can buy twenty popsicles. The children's daily pocket money is five cents and ten cents, and one dollar is rarely seen.

Du Ruo handed the money forward again: "I want to eat too, go buy some, just buy one yuan, we can share them among the few of us, each person can have a few more."

The child showed a huge smile, and the children nearby also jumped up happily, running after him and trying to get popsicles.

After a while, she came back with a bag of popsicles in a plastic bag, all wrapped in popsicle paper. The children handed the bag to Du Ruo, asking her to share the food.