16

Chapter 16: Team V vs. Team Z (2)

Ayumi, Zantetsu, Reo, and Nagi stared at the boy with dark blue hair, all utterly dumbfounded.

"You're..." Ayumi murmured, surprisingly, to no one in particular, "the guy who bolted during the entrance speech..."

"Like I said, who are you?" Reo repeated, a thread of irritation in his voice.

"Team Z's Isagi Yoichi." Suddenly, ten boys seemed to materialize from nowhere. "The team that will bring you down!!"

*****

'Ever since entering Bluelock, I've felt a bit strange... Why am I trying so hard? I've never done that before... Why did Barou get under my skin? I would have never been that frustrated during my normal matches...

...

...

...

'Since when have I smiled?!'

'What the hell is happening to me?'

"This is our last match." Reo began as Team V strode down the long hallway that led to the field. "We've won all our matches so far, so we're definitely moving on... but we're still going to give it our all to win this."

"Okay," Zantetsu replied, then quoted a non-existent 'wise' saying, "'Don't let your garden go with the wind...' right?"

"Not even close..." Reo deadpanned before suddenly shouting, "Time for the first selection's last battle!!"

"I'm already tired..." Ayumi groaned, practically dragging her feet behind them.

"'Don't let your garden go! 'Don't let your garden go!'" Zantetsu misquoted, and Ayumi mentally facepalmed.

*****

As they passed through the doors, they found Team Z waiting. "Just ten of you?" Reo asked.

"The weird traitor guy is off in the corner..." Ayumi replied lazily, "...because even if we win, he'll still advance as the top scorer," she added with a hint of disdain.

"So he's planning to slack off..." Reo concluded, taking his position. "Well... we would have still won anyway." He kicked the ball to Nagi.

"IGAGURI!!"

"YEAH!!"

A bold monk then headbutted the pass, sending it to a boy with a yellow undercut. "Thanks, here I go," he said as he received it flawlessly and launched it toward a guy with long black-and-white hair.

'There's no way he can reach that ball; he sent it too far-' Ayumi thought, just as the black-and-white-haired boy leaped, defying logic and expectation. The ball shot toward the goal but struck the pole with a resounding clang.

"Gah, so close..." the bold monk lamented.

"One more," the black-and-white-haired player added, determination etched into his features.

"What the hell was that..." Ayumi muttered under her breath.

'This team is coordinated...' she thought, nervously processing the mounting tension.

"Holy crap! That was cool! Nagi and Ayumi, let's try that!" Reo shouted, enthusiasm lacing his voice.

"Aww... what a pain," Nagi replied, rolling his eyes. "You're such a drag, Reo," Ayumi stated flatly.

Reo then unleashed a powerful kick, sending the ball curving toward Ayumi, who was unaware and unprepared. 'Doesn't hurt to show off a bit,' she reasoned, relying on instinct as she received the ball, quickly passing it to Nagi with another curve, who sent it sailing into the net.