VerCheol | Expired Medicine Part I

The sound of keys rattling at the door was a familiar melody in the quiet apartment. Seungcheol stepped inside, weary but determined, balancing a bag of takeout in one hand and a stack of papers in the other. The faint glow of the living room lamp illuminated the space, casting long shadows on the walls.

"Hyung!" Vernon called from the couch, his eyes lighting up as he set aside his sketchbook. "You're home!"

"Yeah," Seungcheol replied, a soft smile breaking through his exhaustion. "Sorry I'm late. Work was crazy today." He placed the takeout on the small table in front of them.

Vernon's stomach growled audibly. "Did you get my favorite?"

"Of course! You know I wouldn't forget." Seungcheol opened the bags, revealing a feast of their favorite dishes. "I thought we could celebrate surviving another week."

Vernon laughed, the sound a mix of relief and warmth. "Celebrate? More like just making it through. But I'll take it."

As they dug in, the quiet of the apartment wrapped around them, filled only by the sound of chopsticks clinking against bowls.

"Hyung," Vernon began, hesitating slightly. "Do you ever get tired of working so late?"

Seungcheol paused, the question hanging in the air. "Sometimes. But someone has to pay the bills, right? I can't just leave you to fend for yourself."

"I know," Vernon replied softly, a hint of guilt creeping into his voice. "I just wish we could have more time together."

"Me too," Seungcheol admitted, looking at his younger brother with a mixture of affection and concern. "But I'm doing this for you, Vernon. You're the most important thing in my life."

Vernon smiled, a little brighter now. "I appreciate it, really. But... if you keep working so hard, you might turn into a zombie."

Seungcheol chuckled, shaking his head. "A zombie? I'd make a terrible one. I can't even walk straight when I'm tired."

"Exactly! You'd trip over your own feet trying to chase after brains," Vernon teased, his laughter filling the room.

"Okay, okay, you win. I promise I'll try to come home earlier next week." Seungcheol raised his hands in surrender, a grin breaking across his face. "But I can't make any promises about the brain-chasing part."

"Deal!" Vernon exclaimed, his mood lifted. "And I'll keep drawing you as a zombie until you do."

"Please don't," Seungcheol laughed, rolling his eyes. "I have enough of that at work."

As they finished their dinner, the atmosphere lightened. Seungcheol leaned back, savoring the moment. "So, what did you work on today? Any new masterpieces?"

Vernon's eyes sparkled with excitement. "Yeah! I started a new piece. It's about two brothers who look out for each other, no matter what."

Seungcheol's heart swelled at the words. "Sounds like us. I can't wait to see it."

"Just promise you won't be a zombie in it," Vernon replied with a grin.

"Only if you promise not to make me look like one," Seungcheol shot back playfully.

"Fair enough," Vernon said, laughter ringing in the air once more.

As the conversation flowed, the weight of their shared past lingered in the background, but for now, they were just brothers, finding solace in each other's company amidst the remnants of their loss.

After finishing their meal, Seungcheol cleared the table, his mind still lingering on Vernon's drawing. As he washed the dishes, he could hear Vernon flipping through pages of his sketchbook.