Jeonghan & Seungkwan | Separation Anxiety

Seungkwan sat at the kitchen table, the sunlight filtering through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the empty coffee cups and scattered snack wrappers. He fiddled with his phone, scrolling through messages that were all too cheerful, his heart feeling heavy in contrast.

"Seungkwan!" Jeonghan's voice broke through his thoughts. "You ready to watch that movie tonight?"

"Uh, yeah, sure!" Seungkwan forced a smile, trying to sound enthusiastic. He could feel the knot in his stomach tighten.

Jeonghan walked into the kitchen, his hair slightly tousled, wearing that comfortable oversized hoodie that Seungkwan loved. "You okay? You've been a bit quiet lately."

"Just tired hyung, I guess." Seungkwan shrugged, avoiding Jeonghan's gaze. "You know how it is with schedules."

Jeonghan raised an eyebrow, clearly not convinced. "You've been 'just tired' for days now. Is something bothering you?"

"No, really! I'm fine." Seungkwan waved a hand dismissively, forcing the words out with a chuckle that felt hollow. "Just excited for the movie. What did you pick this time?"

Jeonghan looked at him for a moment, his expression softening but still searching. "Alright, if you say so. I picked that one you love with the ridiculous plot twist."

"Perfect!" Seungkwan said, the excitement in his voice forced but unwavering. "I can't wait."

Later that evening, as they settled down on the couch, the opening credits rolled. Seungkwan tried to focus, but his mind drifted back to the inevitable-Jeonghan's enlistment looming just days away. He felt a lump form in his throat.

"Seungkwan?" Jeonghan nudged him gently. "You sure you're alright? You seem miles away."

"Yeah, just thinking about... stuff." He took a deep breath, forcing a smile. "You know how I get during movies. All the twists make me dizzy."

Jeonghan laughed softly, but Seungkwan could see the concern in his eyes. "You know I'll be back before you know it, right? Two years isn't forever."

"Right," Seungkwan replied, his voice barely above a whisper. "I know, hyung."

As the movie progressed, Jeonghan reached for the popcorn, but Seungkwan's hand brushed against his. It was a fleeting moment, but it sent a wave of warmth through him, mixed with an ache he couldn't shake off.

"Seungkwan, can you promise me something?" Jeonghan asked suddenly, turning serious.

"Anything hyung," Seungkwan replied, heart racing.

"Take care of yourself while I'm gone. Don't forget to eat properly or, I swear, I'll haunt you."

Seungkwan laughed, but it felt strained. "Of course! I'll have all the takeout I can handle."

"Good," Jeonghan said, his eyes searching Seungkwan's. "And if you need anything, you can always call me. Promise?"

"Promise." Seungkwan nodded, even as a part of him wanted to scream that he needed more than just a call.

Jeonghan smiled, but Seungkwan could see it didn't quite reach his eyes. "Alright, let's finish the movie. I want to hear your dramatic commentary on the plot twists."

As the movie played on, Seungkwan forced himself to laugh at the right moments, his heart heavy with unspoken words, feeling the distance grow not just from the imminent departure but from the emotions he couldn't bear to voice.

"Hey," Jeonghan said softly, breaking the silence that had settled between them. "No matter what happens, you're not alone. Remember that, okay?"

"Yeah," Seungkwan replied, swallowing hard. "I will." But inside, he felt the weight of loneliness creeping in, the quiet realization that things would change, and he would have to navigate that emptiness all on his own.