Moving to Siberia

It was a whirlwind few months since your father had died. Your uncle was entitled to your father's property (something to do with a daughter and no son) and he agreed your mother could stay in the house, but only if you came to work for him. You weren't too sure why, you weren't fully trained in nursing and had no specific skills you thought he'd need but agreed in order for your mother to be safe.

The job was working in your uncle's facility, but the worst thing about it was it meant relocating to Siberia..

It was the Winter months so freezing temperatures and seemed to always be dark. You were given a tiny room as you own with the other nurses, barely big enough for anything other than a single bed and set of drawers. You managed to squeeze in a desk you found abandoned on the facility so were able to write home to mother whenever you could.

You room was in a little block just a minutes walk from the main facility. You worked on the medical wing which was overloaded with Russian soldiers, you weren't sure exactly where they had all kept coming from but had managed to learn a few words to help communicate with them.

You had noticed that their wounds were not like you had previously seen. It didn't look like bullets or grenades had done this damage. Some of them almost looked melted.. but you kept to yourself and did your job. You asked little questions, mainly due to the language barrier. You were sure people spoke English a lot better than they made out, so maybe they just didn't want to talk with you. There was one other nurse, Sadie who you had made friends with. She was in the room next to yours and had similar shifts so you were together a lot.

One night you had been on a quick break and overheard your uncle speaking to someone - in English so you could understand but quietly so you couldn't make it out fully. He noticed you walking past and switched to Russian. Now you had no idea what they had said but heard them keep repeating 'Zimniy Soldát'.

When you returned to the ward you saw Sadie and asked what Zimniy Soldát meant. 'Why do you ask this?' she replied. 'I just overheard some people talking about it that's all. Wondered if it was something I would need to know about??'

'No, it is not of your concern and becareful who you ask about this.. We are to be seen as helpful, if you start to cause trouble people won't be happy. You should not speak of Winter Soldier again!', she said almost harshly.

'Winter Soldier?... Is that what it means?', you responded intriguingly.

'Oh my... Oh.. Just pretend I didn't say that - but please don't start asking questions. The answers might not be something you want to hear', she warned.

'Now let's get back to work, bed 3 needs to be rebandaged', she motioned you that way and ended the conversation before you had the chance to respond.