CHAPTER 10

Y/N and Soshiro Hoshina had settled into an unspoken rhythm in their relationship. There was no need for grand declarations of love. Their actions spoke volumes. A gentle touch, a reassuring smile, the way they looked out for each other—it was more than enough. Everyone around them could see it too, but whenever someone tried to hint at their relationship, Y/N would deny it with a flustered laugh.

"It's not like that," she'd say, her cheeks flushing. "We're just... good friends."

But everyone knew better. Even Soshiro would give a knowing smirk when Y/N tried to downplay what was clearly more than friendship. Despite her denials, he never pushed her. He understood her hesitation, her past traumas that made her wary of relationships, and he respected her decision to take things slow.

Soshiro had always been patient, never rushing Y/N or pressuring her to define their bond. He was simply there for her, quietly supporting her in everything she did. And now, as Y/N's final exam month approached, his support was more important than ever.

"I can't believe it's finally here," Y/N muttered, running a hand through her hair as she sat at her desk, surrounded by textbooks and notes. "My last set of exams before medical school. It feels... surreal."

Soshiro leaned against the doorway, watching her with a fond smile. "You've worked hard for this, Y/N. You're almost there."

She sighed, turning her chair to face him. "I know, but it's still nerve-wracking. What if I mess up? What if—"

"Y/N," Soshiro interrupted gently, walking over to place a hand on her shoulder. "You're not going to mess up. You're one of the most dedicated, hard-working people I know. You've got this."

Y/N bit her lip, her nerves still bubbling beneath the surface. "I just... I want to do well. Becoming a doctor has been my dream for as long as I can remember."

"And you will," Soshiro said confidently. "I'll make sure you have everything you need to focus. Whatever you need, I'm here for you."

His words were like a balm to her anxious heart, and she smiled up at him, grateful for his constant presence. "Thank you, Soshiro. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'll never have to find out," he teased lightly, ruffling her hair. "Now, get back to studying. I'll handle dinner."

She laughed softly as he left the room, his footsteps fading down the hallway. Soshiro had always been like that—so effortlessly thoughtful, always knowing exactly what she needed without her having to say a word. Over the next few weeks, as her exams drew closer, he was her anchor. He stayed out of her way when she needed space to study, yet always made sure she was eating properly and getting enough rest.

Soshiro would stay at HQ most days, but even when he was busy, he never forgot to check up on her. His text messages were a constant source of comfort.

"How's the studying going?" "Remember to take breaks." "Don't stay up too late. I'll check on you tomorrow."

His reminders, though simple, made Y/N feel cared for in a way that went beyond words. She didn't need him to say "I love you." She already felt it in every little thing he did.

One evening, after an especially long day of cramming for her exams, Y/N found herself completely drained. Her eyes were heavy, her brain was foggy, and all she wanted was to collapse onto the couch and forget about school for a while. But as she shuffled out of her study, she spotted Soshiro sitting on the couch, reading through some papers.

He looked up as soon as he heard her footsteps, a soft smile gracing his lips. "You okay?"

Y/N didn't respond right away. Instead, she made her way over to him, practically dragging her feet, before collapsing beside him on the couch. She leaned into his side without a word, burying her face in his shoulder.

Soshiro chuckled, wrapping an arm around her. "Rough day?"

"Mm-hmm," she mumbled, her voice muffled against his shirt.

He gently stroked her hair, letting her melt into him. "You're tired."

"So tired," she whispered, her arms wrapping around his waist. She nuzzled closer to him, seeking comfort in his warmth. "I don't want to study anymore."

Soshiro smiled, his heart swelling at her clinginess. It was something he had noticed before—whenever Y/N was exhausted, she became more affectionate, more open. It was one of the rare moments when her guard was completely down, and she let herself lean on him without hesitation.

And he loved it.

"I figured you might be," he said softly, resting his chin on top of her head. "You've been working so hard. You deserve a break."

Y/N sighed contentedly, her body relaxing against his. "Can we just stay like this for a while?"

"As long as you want," Soshiro whispered, his fingers trailing gently down her back. "I'm not going anywhere."

They stayed like that for a long time, the room filled with the quiet sound of their breathing. Y/N's exhaustion slowly melted away, replaced by a sense of peace she only ever felt when she was with Soshiro. She closed her eyes, savoring the way his arms held her so securely, as if nothing in the world could hurt her as long as she was with him.

Eventually, Soshiro shifted slightly, pulling back just enough to look down at her. "You hungry?"

Y/N blinked up at him, her mind still foggy from exhaustion. "A little."

"I'll make you something," he offered, brushing a strand of hair away from her face. "You stay here and relax."

But before he could move, Y/N tightened her grip on him, her voice soft and pleading. "No... stay."

Soshiro froze for a moment, his heart skipping a beat at how vulnerable she sounded. It wasn't like Y/N to ask for something so directly, and the fact that she was asking him to stay with her, to just be there, made something warm bloom in his chest.

He settled back into the couch, pulling her closer. "Okay," he murmured, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "I'll stay."

Y/N smiled against his chest, her fingers curling into the fabric of his shirt. "You're too good to me."

"You deserve it," he replied simply, holding her tightly. "I like taking care of you."

She let out a soft hum of contentment, her body completely relaxing in his arms. For the first time in weeks, she felt like she could finally breathe, like the weight of her exams and her future wasn't pressing down on her as heavily as before. With Soshiro by her side, everything seemed more manageable.

As the evening went on, Y/N eventually dozed off against him, her breathing slow and even. Soshiro watched her for a while, his hand gently running through her hair. There was something so peaceful about moments like these, when it was just the two of them, no words needed. He didn't mind that she was clingy when she was tired—in fact, he loved it. It was in these moments that she let him in, showing him just how much she trusted him.

After a while, he carefully shifted her in his arms and stood up, carrying her toward the bedroom. Y/N stirred slightly but didn't fully wake, her arms instinctively wrapping around his neck as he laid her down on the bed.

As he tucked her in, Y/N's eyes fluttered open for a moment, her voice groggy. "Soshiro..."

"Yeah?" he whispered, brushing a thumb across her cheek.

"Thank you," she murmured, her eyes already drifting closed again. "For everything."

Soshiro's heart swelled at her words, and he leaned down to press a gentle kiss to her forehead. "Always," he whispered back, watching as she fell back into a peaceful sleep.

As he sat beside her, watching the steady rise and fall of her chest, Soshiro couldn't help but smile to himself. He didn't need to hear the words "I love you" from Y/N. He already knew, just as she knew that he loved her too. Their actions, their care for each other, said everything that needed to be said.

And that was enough.