CHAPTER 23

Y/N was busy finalizing the last few details of her graduation preparations. The excitement of finally achieving her dream of becoming a doctor filled her heart, though there was also a hint of sadness. It was something she had worked tirelessly for, a dream she had shared with her father, who was no longer with her.

Soshiro Hoshina stood nearby, watching her with quiet admiration. He'd been by her side, helping her every step of the way. He didn't say much, but his presence was a constant source of comfort and support.

"Are you sure you don't need anything else?" Soshiro asked, his voice gentle as he stepped closer to where she sat, going over her checklist for what felt like the hundredth time.

Y/N smiled, looking up at him. "I'm sure, Soshiro. Everything is enough. You've already helped me so much with the preparations."

He smiled back, a warm, affectionate smile that never failed to make her heart flutter. "I just want to make sure everything is perfect for you."

Y/N placed the list aside and stood up, walking over to him and wrapping her arms around his waist. "Thank you," she murmured. "I wouldn't have been able to do any of this without you."

Soshiro pulled her closer, resting his chin on the top of her head. "You did all the hard work, Y/N. I just supported you."

Y/N leaned into his embrace, feeling the warmth and strength of him surrounding her. As she pulled away slightly, her gaze drifted to the small photo frame on the desk. It was an old picture of her father, smiling proudly in his doctor's coat. Her heart tightened at the sight.

"I finally did it, Dad," she whispered, her voice trembling slightly. "I finally get to become a doctor, just like you."

Soshiro's eyes followed her gaze to the photo, and his expression softened. He had heard Y/N talk about her father before—how he had been a doctor, how much he had inspired her to pursue medicine. But her father had died in a Kaiju attack years ago, leaving Y/N with a complicated and painful past.

"He would be so proud of you," Soshiro said softly, his hand gently squeezing hers.

Y/N nodded, but her eyes were clouded with a deeper pain. "I hope so." She paused, her voice quieter. "He didn't deserve what happened. He was a good man. And after he passed, everything just... fell apart."

Soshiro remained silent, listening intently as Y/N continued.

"My stepmother took everything after my father died. All his money, the house... everything. She ran off with another man, leaving me behind with her son—my stepbrother." Her voice wavered as she spoke, the memories still painful even after all these years. "He was... obsessed. He used to abuse me, and when I tried to stand up to him, he almost killed me."

Soshiro's jaw clenched at her words, the memory of that horrible night flashing through his mind. He had arrived just in time to stop Y/N's stepbrother from doing something unspeakable. Even now, the thought of what could have happened to her made his blood boil.

"But you saved me," Y/N said, her voice softer now as she looked up at him, gratitude shining in her eyes. "You were there when I needed someone the most. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't been there."

Soshiro pulled her into his arms, holding her tightly. "You never have to worry about him or anyone else hurting you again," he murmured. "I'll protect you. Always."

Y/N felt a lump form in her throat, and tears pricked at her eyes. The weight of everything she had gone through—the loss, the pain, the fear—had been a heavy burden to carry for so long. But now, standing in Soshiro's embrace, she finally felt safe.