CHAPTER 26

Soshiro Hoshina sat quietly on the edge of their bed, staring at the now half-empty closet in front of him. The familiar sight of Y/N's clothes and personal belongings slowly disappearing from their shared apartment filled him with a deep, hollow ache. He ran a hand through his hair, his thoughts heavy. The reality of her upcoming departure was sinking in, and no matter how much he tried to push it away, it was becoming harder to ignore.

One week. In just one week, Y/N would fly to the US for her practical, and Soshiro felt like every moment they spent together was slipping through his fingers.

He glanced around their room, his heart sinking at how much emptier it felt without her things scattered around. Even her scent, which usually lingered everywhere, was starting to fade. He closed his eyes and let out a deep sigh, the weight of it all pressing on his chest.

Suddenly, he felt a pair of warm arms wrap around him from behind, and Y/N's familiar, comforting presence enveloped him. She rested her chin on his shoulder, her voice soft and concerned.

"Soshiro... why do you look so sad?" she asked, her breath tickling his ear.

He leaned back into her embrace, savoring the warmth of her touch. "It's just... the day you leave is getting closer," he admitted, his voice low and thick with emotion. "Every time I look around, I feel like I'm losing a little bit of you. Your clothes, your things... even your scent is fading from the apartment." He turned his head slightly, pressing a kiss to her arm. "I don't want to lose you, Y/N. I want your scent to stay with me. I want you to stay with me."

Y/N's heart clenched at his words, and she felt the sting of tears threatening to well up in her eyes. She squeezed him a little tighter, resting her cheek against his. "You're not losing me, Soshiro," she whispered, trying to keep her voice steady. "I'll come back to you. I promise."

He turned in her embrace so that he could face her, pulling her into his lap. He wrapped his arms around her tightly, his gaze intense as he looked into her eyes. "I know," he murmured, brushing a strand of hair away from her face. "But it's going to be hard. I'm going to miss you so much."

Y/N smiled softly, even though she could feel her own sadness bubbling up inside. She didn't want to cry, not now. If she let herself show how sad she was, she might not be able to leave at all. So, instead, she leaned forward and pressed a soft kiss to his lips, her heart fluttering at the way he kissed her back with such affection.

When they pulled apart, Soshiro kissed her again, this time trailing his lips down her neck, making her giggle as she squirmed in his arms.

"S-Soshiro! That tickles!" Y/N laughed, gently pushing at his chest.

He grinned, his eyes bright with mischief as he pressed another playful kiss to her cheek. "I want your smell to stick with me, remember?" he teased, making her laugh even more. "I'll never get tired of kissing you."

Y/N's heart fluttered at his words, and she cupped his face with her hands, brushing her thumb over his cheek. "Well, I prepared dinner," she said softly, smiling at him. "Let's eat before you try to kiss me to death."

Soshiro chuckled, finally letting her go so she could stand. "I'm not done kissing you yet," he said playfully, standing up and pulling her into a quick embrace from behind. "But I'll let you feed me first."

Y/N smiled, but there was a heaviness in her chest that she couldn't shake. As much as she tried to hide it, she was feeling just as sad as Soshiro. She was dreading leaving him, and the thought of being away from him for so long was almost unbearable. But she knew that if she showed him how sad she truly was, it would only make things harder—for both of them.

They sat down to eat, and Y/N did her best to keep the mood light. She chatted about the last few things she needed to pack and the details of her practical in the US, but every now and then, she'd catch Soshiro staring at her with a sad, distant look in his eyes. It broke her heart, but she kept up her smile, not wanting him to worry.

"So," Soshiro said, breaking the silence as he took a bite of dinner. "How's the rest of your preparation going? Do you need anything before you leave? Anything your fiancé can do for you?"

At the mention of the word "fiancé," Y/N's face lit up, and her heart skipped a beat. She glanced down at the ring on her finger, her smile growing wider. No matter how many times she heard Soshiro call her that, it never failed to make her stomach do little flips.

"I love it when you call me that," Y/N admitted, looking up at him with a shy smile. She twisted the ring around her finger, admiring the way it sparkled under the soft light of the apartment. "Your fiancée... It still feels so surreal."

Soshiro leaned back in his chair, his eyes filled with adoration as he watched her. "It's been five months since we got engaged," he said, his voice soft and warm. "And you've never looked more beautiful than you do now, sitting there with that ring on your finger."

Y/N blushed, her heart fluttering wildly in her chest. "You always know what to say to make me blush," she mumbled, lowering her gaze.

Soshiro chuckled, reaching across the table to take her hand in his. "I'm serious, Y/N. You're perfect. And I can't wait for the day when I can call you my wife."

The word "wife" sent a shiver down Y/N's spine, and she couldn't help the smile that spread across her face. "I can't wait either," she whispered, squeezing his hand. "It's all I think about, you know. Even when I'm packing, even when I'm preparing for this trip... I just keep thinking about how, after all of this, I'll come back to you, and we'll be together. For good."

Soshiro's eyes softened, and he stood up from his chair, walking around the table to pull her into a warm embrace. "I'll be waiting for you," he murmured into her hair, his voice filled with love and reassurance. "However long it takes. I'll be right here, waiting for you to come back to me."

Y/N wrapped her arms around him, burying her face in his chest as she blinked back the tears that threatened to fall. "I love you, Soshiro," she whispered, her voice trembling with emotion. "I love you so much, and I don't know how I'm going to get through these next few months without you."

Soshiro pulled back slightly, cupping her face in his hands as he looked into her eyes. "You're stronger than you think, Y/N," he said softly, brushing his thumb over her cheek. "And I'll be here, every step of the way. We'll talk every day. I'll call you, text you, whatever you need. You're not alone in this."

Y/N nodded, her heart swelling with gratitude and love for the man standing in front of her. She leaned up on her toes, pressing a soft kiss to his lips, and when they pulled apart, she rested her forehead against his.

"Promise me you'll take care of yourself while I'm gone," she whispered, her eyes closing as she tried to hold onto this moment for as long as possible.

"I promise," Soshiro whispered back, his voice filled with unwavering sincerity. "And you promise me that you'll come back to me, safe and sound."

Y/N smiled, her heart fluttering once again. "I promise," she whispered. "I'll always come back to you, Soshiro. Always."