Chapter 26: Navigating Old Wound

Chapter 26: Navigating Old Wounds

Y/N sat quietly at the dinner table after the twins had shared the news about Lizzie’s divorce. Her mind raced back to the last time she had heard anything significant about her ex-wife. Lizzie had been pregnant, glowing with happiness and excitement. Now, just a few months later, Y/N was learning that her once-perfect life had fallen apart.

Mary-Kate and Ashley’s words replayed in her mind as she sipped her water, trying to steady her emotions. They hadn't meant any harm by keeping it from her, she knew that. They’d been trying to protect her, not wanting to disrupt her happiness before the final. And they were right—Y/N had moved on. But that didn’t mean the news didn’t sting.

Dua, sitting beside her, instantly picked up on her change in demeanor. She reached under the table, gently squeezing Y/N’s hand.

“You okay, babe?” Dua asked softly, her voice full of concern.

Y/N nodded, but the sadness in her eyes was undeniable. “I’m just... processing, I guess. Last I heard, Lizzie was pregnant, happy. Now... she’s divorced. It’s a lot to take in.”

Dua shifted her chair closer, keeping her hand wrapped around Y/N’s. She had always been understanding when it came to Y/N’s complicated history with Lizzie. From the beginning of their relationship, Dua had made sure Y/N knew she could talk about Lizzie without feeling guilty. That’s what made their bond so strong—Dua’s empathy and unwavering support.

“I get it,” Dua said, her voice soothing. “It’s okay to feel sad. You shared a lot with her, and hearing something like this... it’s bound to bring up emotions. But remember, you’re not alone in this. I’m here, okay? Whatever you’re feeling, I’m with you.”

Y/N looked at Dua, her heart swelling with gratitude. “How do you always know exactly what to say?”

Dua smiled softly, her thumb brushing over Y/N’s knuckles. “Because I know you. And I know how much you care, even when you try to hide it.”

Y/N exhaled, her shoulders relaxing a little. She hated that she still felt something—sadness, concern—about Lizzie, but Dua’s words made it feel okay. There was no judgment, only understanding.

“I think what hurts the most,” Y/N started, her voice quiet, “is knowing that Lizzie was probably going through all of this while I’ve been here, happy, winning games, getting engaged. And I had no idea. It feels... weird, you know?”

Dua nodded, her gaze soft and warm. “I can imagine. But you can’t blame yourself for that, Y/N. You’ve moved on. You’ve built a life, and you deserve to be happy. Lizzie’s journey is separate from yours now. That doesn’t mean you can’t feel for her, but it also doesn’t mean you should feel guilty for being happy.”

Y/N smiled at that, feeling some of the weight lift off her chest. Dua’s words were like a balm to her soul, reminding her that it was okay to have moved on, even if there were still echoes of the past.

“I love you,” Y/N said softly, her voice filled with emotion. “You always make everything better.”

Dua grinned, leaning in to kiss her gently on the forehead. “I love you too. And I’m always here to make things better, remember? That’s part of the deal.”

Y/N laughed lightly, her heart warming at Dua’s constant ability to lift her spirits. She felt incredibly lucky to have found someone who understood her so deeply, someone who could help her navigate these difficult emotions without feeling overwhelmed by them.

Just then, Mary-Kate and Ashley approached, their expressions slightly concerned but still warm.

“Y/N,” Mary-Kate started, her voice gentle, “we didn’t mean to upset you. We honestly thought it would be better to wait until after the final. We didn’t want anything to mess with your focus.”

Ashley nodded in agreement. “And we didn’t think it was our place to tell you. It’s Lizzie’s life, and we didn’t want to overstep.”

Y/N smiled at the twins, appreciating their honesty. “I get it. You guys were looking out for me, and I appreciate that. It’s just... a shock, you know?”

Mary-Kate sighed, placing a hand on Y/N’s shoulder. “We know. And we hope you understand that we kept it from you in good faith. You’ve been through enough, and we didn’t want to drag you back into something that wasn’t yours to deal with anymore.”

Y/N nodded, feeling the sincerity in their words. “I do. And thank you for that. You guys are good people, and I’m lucky to have you in my life.”

Ashley smiled, relieved. “You’re stuck with us now.”

As the twins walked away to give Y/N and Dua some space, Y/N leaned back into her chair, feeling lighter. The news about Lizzie still lingered, but with Dua by her side, she knew she would be okay. The sadness was there, but it wasn’t overwhelming. Not with Dua making everything better, just like she always did.

“I don’t know how you do it,” Y/N said, looking at Dua with admiration. “You make everything feel... manageable.”

Dua smiled, resting her head on Y/N’s shoulder. “That’s because we’re a team. And I’m always going to be here for you, no matter what.”

Y/N wrapped her arm around Dua, pulling her closer. “I don’t deserve you.”

Dua chuckled softly, shaking her head. “You deserve everything, Y/N. And I’m going to spend the rest of my life making sure you know that.”

As they sat there together, surrounded by love and support, Y/N felt a sense of peace wash over her. Yes, the past had its scars, but with Dua by her side, she knew she could face anything.

Lizzie’s chapter was closed, and though it hurt to hear about her struggles, Y/N had moved on. She had a future with Dua, one filled with love, laughter, and endless possibilities.

And for the first time in a long time, Y/N felt truly free.