Till death do us part

The grand cathedral of Eldrida's capital city, Alderan, was ablaze with light and color. Guests from both kingdoms filled the pews, their finery a testament to the importance of this union. The air was thick with anticipation.

Calantha's procession began, her ladies-in-waiting preceding her down the aisle. Her gown shimmered in the sunlight streaming through the stained glass windows, the delicate lace and satin a masterpiece of craftsmanship.

As she reached the altar, Kaidën turned to face her. Their eyes met for the first time, and for an instant, time stood still.

Calantha's gaze was icy, her expression a mask of duty. Kaidën's eyes, however, held a hint of warmth, a glimmer of hope.

The Archbishop of Eldrida began the ceremony, his voice booming through the cathedral.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to unite Prince Kaidën Valorian of Eldrida and Princess Calantha Valtania of Valtania in holy matrimony."

As the archbishop spoke, Calantha's thoughts drifted to her childhood, to the promises she had made to herself, to the dreams she had yet to fulfill. She felt trapped, a pawn in a game of politics.

Kaidën's thoughts, however, were on the woman before him. He saw beyond her icy exterior, sensing the turmoil beneath.

The vows were exchanged, each word a promise binding them together.

"I, Kaidën Valorian, take thee, Calantha Valtania, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part."

Calantha's voice was steady as she repeated her vows, but her eyes betrayed her. They flashed with defiance, with rebellion.

As they exchanged rings, the cathedral erupted into cheers and applause. The newlyweds shared a chaste kiss, the seal of their union.

The reception that followed was a whirlwind of music, dance, and laughter. Calantha's smile was polished, her manners impeccable, but Kaidën sensed the tension beneath.

As the night wore on, Kaidën took Calantha's hand, leading her onto the dance floor.

"May I have the pleasure?" he asked, his voice low.

Calantha's nod was almost imperceptible.

Their bodies moved in harmony, the music swirling around them. For a fleeting moment, Calantha's guard dropped, and Kaidën glimpsed the woman beneath the mask.

Calantha's smile was polished, her manners impeccable, as she greeted dignitaries and nobles. Kaidën stood beside her, his hand on her waist, a possessive gesture that made her skin prickle.

As they took their seats at the head table, Calantha's gaze swept the room. Her eyes locked onto a figure standing at the edge of the crowd.

Lord Arin Valtor, Kaidën's best friend and advisor, watched her with an intensity that made her shiver. His eyes seemed to see beyond her mask.

Kaidën's voice drew her attention back to the table. "My dear, you look lovely tonight."

Calantha's response was automatic. "Thank you, my lord."

The feast began, course after course of exquisite cuisine. Calantha's appetite was nonexistent, but she played the role of gracious hostess.

"Tell me, Calantha," Kaidën whispered, his breath against her ear, "what do you desire most in this world?"

Calantha's heart skipped a beat. No one had ever asked her that.

Calantha's gaze locked onto Kaidën's, her expression unreadable. "I desire nothing, my lord," she replied, her voice icy.

Kaidën's eyes narrowed, his smile faltering for a moment. "Surely, there must be something that brings you joy?"

Calantha's mask remained intact. "Duty brings me joy, my lord. Fulfilling my obligations to our kingdoms."

The music swirled around them, but the tension between them was palpable. Kaidën's eyes searched for a crack in Calantha's facade, but found none.

"Forgive me, my lord," Calantha said, her voice dripping with frost, "but I'm tired. May I retire?"

Kaidën's jaw clenched, his eyes flashing with frustration. "Of course, my lady."

Calantha curtsied, her movements precise, and turned to leave. Kaidën's hand shot out, grasping her wrist.

"Calantha," he said, his voice low and urgent.

She turned back, her gaze cold. "Yes, my lord?"

Kaidën's eyes burned with intensity. "We will discuss this later."

Calantha's expression didn't waver. "I look forward to it."

With that, she extricated herself from his grasp and disappeared into the crowd.

Kaidën watched her go, his mind racing. Who was this woman, really?