Chapter 5: Sparks and Shadows

Nomad and Lea slipped through the alleyways of Watson, their steps silent and measured. Tonight's job was small—breaking into a storage unit belonging to a minor tech distributor. It was a far cry from the Militech heist, but Lea insisted they play it safe until the heat died down.

They reached the storage facility and Lea pulled out a sleek device from her belt, scanning for security systems. "Only two cameras," she whispered. "I can loop the feed in under thirty seconds."

Nomad leaned in, peering over her shoulder as she tapped into the system. "You sure you can do it that fast?" he teased, a faint smirk playing on his lips.

Lea glanced at him, her eyes gleaming with a playful challenge. "I could do it in my sleep. You just worry about the guards."

Nomad grinned, drawing his weapon as he slipped around the corner. He moved like a shadow, taking out two guards with precision, his movements smooth and efficient. He turned back to find Lea waiting, arms crossed and an amused smile on her face.

"Nice work," she said. "But I'd have been quicker."

Nomad chuckled, his gaze lingering on her a moment longer than usual. "I like to savor it."

They navigated through the corridors, finally reaching the storage unit they were after. Lea quickly cracked the lock, and they slipped inside, only to find themselves face-to-face with two more guards. Without missing a beat, Nomad sprang into action, tackling one guard while Lea drew her pistol, firing a quick, clean shot that took down the second.

Breathing heavily, they exchanged a glance, adrenaline sparking between them. Lea brushed a strand of hair from her face, her eyes meeting his with a glint of excitement. "You're not so bad to have around."

Nomad chuckled, stepping closer. "Careful. You might start liking me."

She laughed softly, a sound that felt almost out of place in the cold, industrial space. "Maybe I already do."

They gathered the data drives they needed, quickly making their escape into the night. As they disappeared into the maze of streets, Nomad felt the thrill of the job pulsing through his veins, but it was Lea's lingering smile that stayed with him. He couldn't shake the feeling that there was more between them than just the adrenaline rush of a job well done.

Back at their hideout, they divvied up the loot, Lea shooting him a sly grin. "Same time tomorrow?"

Nomad nodded, a rare smile breaking through his usual stoic expression. "Wouldn't miss it."

The jobs were small, the risks minimal, but the connection between them was growing, flickering to life like the neon lights that painted the city. They moved with a newfound rhythm, two pieces fitting together, and as they settled into the night, Nomad knew they were only just beginning.