Chapter 11: Captive Shadows

Lea awoke to the cold glare of fluorescent lights above her, her head pounding as she tried to sit up. Her arms felt heavy, her wrists restrained by steel cuffs fastened to the sides of a metal chair. She struggled against them, but it was no use. Her gaze shifted around the room, taking in the sterile white walls, the single door, and the security cameras watching her from every angle.

A sense of dread settled over her as she pieced together her last moments before losing consciousness. Militech. They had found her and Nomad, and now she was their prisoner. But where was he? Was he alive? The thought sent a chill through her, her heart pounding as she fought to stay calm.

Footsteps echoed from beyond the door, and a moment later, it swung open to reveal a tall man in a Militech uniform. He wore a smug expression, his eyes cold and calculating as he approached her. He took a seat across from her, crossing his arms as he studied her with the air of someone who already knew everything.

"Lea," he began, his tone as sharp as a blade. "It took us a long time to track you down. You've made quite the effort to erase yourself from every database. No last name, no traceable ID—just a ghost in the system."

Lea forced herself to meet his gaze, keeping her expression neutral. She wasn't about to let him see her fear. "If you've got me now, why keep talking? You clearly don't need my cooperation."

The man chuckled, clearly amused by her defiance. "Your skills are impressive. You've evaded us for years. But Militech always catches up, eventually."

Lea clenched her fists, trying to keep her breathing steady. She knew she had to stay strong, to resist whatever they threw at her. Nomad was out there somewhere, and if she could just hold on, she was certain he would come for her.

The man leaned back, his gaze narrowing. "Or perhaps we don't need you to talk. Perhaps we just need you to work for us. Your skills would be quite useful on the right side of the law."

Lea's stomach turned at the thought, but she forced herself to stay silent. She wasn't about to give him the satisfaction of a reaction. Instead, she let her mind wander to Nomad, hoping he was safe. She pictured him out there, searching for her, and that thought gave her strength.

The man's smirk faded, replaced by a look of frustration. He rose from his seat, signaling to the guards at the door. "You'll come around eventually," he said, his tone colder now. "They always do."

As he left, the guards stepped forward, their grips firm as they unfastened her cuffs and led her to a small, dimly lit cell. They locked the door behind her, leaving her alone in the silence. She leaned back against the wall, her mind racing as she began to plot her escape.

She knew she couldn't just sit here and wait to be rescued. Nomad would come for her, but she was determined to meet him halfway. With every passing moment, she let her anger and determination grow, letting them fuel her resolve. She would find a way out of this, and when she did, Militech would regret ever crossing paths with her.