xxiii.

Seasonal beverages.

𝔽𝕠𝕝𝕝𝕠𝕨𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕒𝕟 𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕚𝕕𝕖𝕟𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕠𝕔𝕔𝕦𝕣𝕣𝕖𝕕 𝕕𝕒𝕪𝕤 𝕡𝕣𝕚𝕠𝕣, 𝔼𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕝𝕒 𝕙𝕒𝕕 𝕓𝕖𝕖𝕟 𝕒𝕧𝕠𝕚𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕃𝕠𝕘𝕒𝕟.

While she answered his calls, and they spoke over the phone, she didn't know how to go about telling him what had happened in person.

It wasn't something you could just say over the phone, 'Hey, I was attacked, but it's okay, the perpetrator is in the ER.'

Tell him, pumpkin. Just tell him.

After seeing his intense reaction in the hall of his apartment complex, she was sure he would do something rash, or perhaps illegal, and she didn't want him to worry.

She could handle herself.

No argument's there! God, she's, as we Gen-Zers would say, a baddie.

Still, Wade insisted on following her around when Logan wasn't present, sitting close to her whenever she came to work, or keeping tabs on the Gas N' Gulp.

The owner of the bar had added a few drinks to the menu, including three non-alcoholic beverages, two of which were coffee.

This made Estrella very happy, seeing as she couldn't drink yet, and was a big fan of espresso, so while waiting tables, she ordered an Oatmilk Pumpkin espresso in her spare time.

It was later in the evening, she'd picked up an extra shift seeing as the bar was close to closing time, and Wade refused to move from his seat until she was ready to head home.

"Isn't it a little late to be drinking espresso?" Wade asked, sipping a pint of beer as he sat at the counter.

"It's never too late for espresso." She deadpanned.

"Well, while we're on the topic of things keeping you up all night?" Wade began, eying Estrella, "Have you talked to Peanut?"

Raising a brow, she pulled a face.

"Yes, we spoke yesterday." It was on the phone, and he was calling to ask about her day, though she made no move to mention the incident.

"Did you tell him about-" Estrella interjected, "Nope."

She walked off, working to fill orders while Wade merely shook his head.