CHAPTER 17

Siguro nga, nasanay na si Lan sa pagiging showy ko. He doesn’t react the way he used to anymore—no cold stares or stiff shoulders. He just lets me be, kahit minsan sobrang kulit ko na. It's like he's finally accepted na ganito ako, and honestly, it feels good. Ang laking pagbabago compared sa dati.

I’m sprawled on the couch, playing around on my phone, while Lan is sitting by the window sketching something. The condo is unusually quiet, except for the faint sound of his pencil on paper. Everything’s calm, just the way I like it when we're together.

Then, then the doorbell rang.

"Xian, paki check kung sino yan," Lan says without looking up.

"Okay, boss,” I joke, hopping off the couch and heading to the door. I open it to find Tita Vien standing there, looking as fierce as ever.

“Good morning, Xian!” she says, stepping in without waiting for an invitation. I grin—typical Tita Vien, always in control of the situation. She’s one of the few people who can just can enter in our place with or without permission.

“morning, Tita. Ano’ng meron?” I ask, curious. She usually doesn’t drop by unannounced unless it’s something important.

Tita Vien pulls off her sunglasses, a smile playing on her lips as she turns to Lan. “Well, I came to tell you two that you need to pack your things. Meron kayong shoot.”

Lan, who’s been sitting quite in the window and raises an eyebrow. “why we need to pack? Shoot? where?” he asks in his usual calm tone.

Tita Vien’s eyes light up. “Oh, hindi ba sinabi sa inyo? The next shoot is happening on an island. It’s a big project so expected that the place will be planned as well, the island is very exclusive so I wanted to make sure na ready na kayo.”

I blink, a mix of excitement and confusion filling me. “Wait—what island? Akala ko local lang yung shoot?”

She waves her hand dismissively. “Oh, it is. Pero medyo malayo lang. Private island owned by one of the big sponsors. You will be shooting there for a week, so make sure to pack everything you’ll need. Medyo secluded ang lugar—no fancy hotels, but it’s going to be beautiful. The brand wants a natural vibe theme shoot for the both of you.”

Lan doesn't say much, but I can see the subtle shift in his expression—interested, but still in his usual composed way. Ako naman, I can’t help but feel a little excited dahil minsan lang mangyari ang outdoor shoot.

I glance at Lan, trying to catch his reaction. He is cool, as expected.

Lan stands up, stretching a little before setting his sketchpad aside. “Anong oras ang call time?” he asks, always the professional.

“Early,” Tita Vien replies, glancing at her watch. “Around 6 a.m. We need to catch the boat to the island, so be ready. I expect you both to be at your best. This project is important and the brand is counting on your chemistry.”

At the mention of chemistry, I smirk and look at Lan. “Chemistry, ha?” I muttered. “Don’t worry, Tita. We’ve got that covered.” I said while looking at Lan.

Lan just rolls his eyes but doesn’t argue.

“Alright, I’ll leave you two to pack,” Tita Vien says, heading for the door. “Remember, tomorrow and Xian no cheeky behavior on the island. I got my eyes on you, I’m serious!” she said warningly.

I salute her playfully. “Yes, ma’am! I will be on my best behavior.”

When the door closes behind her, I turn to Lan and nuzzled towards him. He just shakes his head at my enthusiasm, but I can tell he is intrigued by the idea too.

“Let’s start packing,” Lan says calmly, heading to his room. As always, he’s practical.

I watch as Lan heads to his room, ever so calm, Ako? I’m practically bouncing on my feet, my mind already racing with thoughts of the beach, sunsets, and new memories.

“Lan!” I call out, following him into his room. " saang Isla kaya tayo pupunta?"

He glances at me briefly, still focused on folding some clothes as if the idea of heading to an island doesn’t faze him at all. “We’ll see tomorrow,” he says simply, not sharing the same burst of excitement.

I lay down on his bed watching him pack with his things.

“Siguro dapat magdala ako ng more tropical outfits,” I say,  “Yung bright, summery vibe para mag-match sa beach. Or maybe ako na lang yung magdadala ng konting color, kasi ikaw sigurado ako na puro dark color ang dala mo aside sa facecard mo.” I said teasingly

Lan glances at me, eyebrow raised.
“Kahit saan naman tayo magpunta, ako pa din tu” he says with a small smirk.

I laugh, rolling onto my back. “Oo nga, pero that’s what makes you cool. Tapos ako, bright and loud—perfect combination.” I shoot him a grin. He just shakes his head, but I can tell he is amused.

A few moments pass before I remember something. “ sabi ni Tita Vien, secluded ang area which means no fancy hotels. Ano kaya? Tent, shared cabin, or—” I sit up dramatically. “Coconuts lang yung shelter natin?”

He stops folding for a second, giving me one of his signature deadpan looks. “ not all secluded area looks like a jungle Xian, also it's a private property so expected that may rest house doon and stop with your nonsense remarks hindi naman tayo sa jungle pupunta.” he said seriously na para ba ang OA ko sa mga sinasabi ko.

I laugh, holding up my hands. “I’m just joking, Lan!. Hindi ka ba excited?"

Lan just shrug and continue what he is doing "As long as we can get the work done."

“Boring!” I tease, throwing a pillow at him. “You should at least pretend to be excited! We’re going to an island! Think about the sunsets, the sand, the—” I pause for dramatic effect. “The night swims?”

He catches the pillow and tosses it back at me “ It's Work, Xian. Remember that.”

“Yeah, yeah,” I say, waving him off. “Pero admit it, part of you is looking forward to it.”

This time, he doesn’t deny it, just shakes his head with that small smile that I learned to catch over time. It’s subtle, pero nandoon. He might not show excitement the way I do, but I know he is in his own quiet way.