Chapter Ten: How to Argue Over Dinner Like a Pro

The car is filled with an uncomfortable silence as Ace drives Emily home. I can't help but steal glances at him in the rearview mirror. He seems tense, his jaw set, his hands gripping the steering wheel like it's his lifeline. Part of me wants to break the silence, to ask him if he's okay or to just talk about anything other than the elephant in the room, but I know it wouldn't make a difference. He's got his walls up, and I'm not sure I have the strength to climb over them right now.

Once we drop Emily off—her goodbye filled with laughter and playful teasing that makes my heart sink deeper into my stomach—Ace turns the car around and heads back to the hotel. The road is illuminated only by streetlights, the glow casting long shadows that seem to mirror the tension between us. I shift uncomfortably in my seat, focusing on the passing scenery outside.

"Tomorrow," I think, trying to concentrate on the Nexus grand opening. I need to be sharp. I need to make sure everything goes according to plan. The grand opening is my focus now, the mission my only priority. I mentally review the details of the plan again, checking off each point in my head.

I feel a flicker of hope that Ace might not even come. I hadn't added his name to the guest list, and if all goes well, he wouldn't be able to get in. The thought brings a small smile to my lips, but I quickly suppress it. I shouldn't feel happy about this; I shouldn't want to push him away. Yet, the idea of working without him lurking in the background feels oddly freeing.

When we arrive at the hotel, I grab my greasy burgers from earlier that day, the remnants of comfort food I had stashed in my bag. The smell wafts into the air, a mixture of salt and fat that makes my mouth water despite the gnawing tension in my chest. I plop down on the bed and unwrap the burger, taking a huge bite. The flavors burst in my mouth, providing a temporary distraction from the chaos of my thoughts.

Ace moves around the room, gathering his things but never glancing my way. It's as if I'm invisible. I chew slowly, the crunch of the lettuce and the squelch of the sauce filling the silence. Each bite reminds me of the earlier part of the day, when I'd been carefree and joking with Luke, laughing over drinks and trying to enjoy myself.

Now, it's just me and my thoughts—my uncertainty about the mission and my complicated feelings for Ace, and the sting of his words still echoing in my mind. I glance over at him, but he's busy scrolling through his phone, his expression serious, and I turn back to my food, feeling the ache of the silence weigh down on me.

I finish my burger, licking my fingers clean, and then set the wrapper aside. I pull out my notebook, trying to dive back into my plans for the mission. I jot down notes, my pen scratching against the paper as I pour my focus into the task at hand. I keep stealing glances at Ace, but he remains absorbed in his own world, as if we're not even sharing the same room.

It feels strange, being this close yet so far away. The air thickens with unspoken words and unresolved feelings, but I bury my head in my plans, refusing to let the emotions bubble to the surface. I have a mission to focus on, and that's all that matters now.

I wake up to the blaring sunlight streaming through the hotel curtains, my heart racing with a mix of nerves and determination. Today is the day of the Nexus grand opening, and I'm supposed to tackle this mission without Ace. The thought sends a wave of anxiety through me. It's a partner mission, and yet here I am, choosing to go solo. I can't help but wonder if I'm making a huge mistake.

As I roll out of bed, I glance over at Ace, who's busy getting ready for breakfast. He moves with that casual confidence, completely unaware of the storm brewing inside me. "Hey, I'm heading down," he calls over his shoulder. "You coming?"

"Yeah, I'll be there in a minute," I reply, forcing a smile. As he leaves, I feel a weight in my chest. I know I told him I didn't want him on the mission, that he'd just argue with me and piss me off. But now that the moment is here, the nerves settle in. I take a deep breath and head to the bathroom.