Chapter Twenty-Three: Hot Showers and Even Hotter Moments

After what feels like an eternity in the hospital, I finally get Ace out of that sterile white room and into the car. The tension in my chest eases a bit as I feel the weight of his presence beside me, but I can't shake the guilt gnawing at the back of my mind. I want to ask him what happened, what went down in that warehouse, but I know deep down that it was partly my fault. The whole situation, the risks we took—it all led to this moment, and I can't bear to face that truth just yet.

As I drive towards the hotel, I try to keep the atmosphere light. "Race you up the stairs," I challenge, a playful grin spreading across my face.

Ace raises an eyebrow, a teasing smile creeping onto his lips. "You're on."

We jump out of the car, and before I know it, we're sprinting toward the hotel entrance. My heart races, not just from the run but from the sheer exhilaration of being back with him, of leaving behind the chaos of the past few hours. It's a silly competition, but it feels good to let loose, to escape the heaviness that had been weighing on us.

"I'm totally going to win!" I shout, laughing as I push myself harder, my legs burning with the effort.

"Not if I have anything to say about it!" Ace calls back, his voice filled with a playful challenge. I can hear the competitive spirit in his tone, and it drives me to push even harder.

We reach the staircase, and I leap ahead, determined to get to the top first. The thrill of the race makes me forget everything else—the fear, the worry, and the guilt. We bound up the steps, two kids racing to the finish line, each step filled with laughter and energy.

As we near the top, I glance back at Ace, who's right on my heels. I can't help but smirk, knowing he's just as competitive as I am. "You're going to have to try harder than that!" I tease, taking the last few steps two at a time.

Finally, I burst through the door to our floor and skid to a stop, breathless and triumphant. "Yes! I win!"

Ace follows right behind me, feigning exhaustion. "Okay, okay, you got me. But I let you win!"

"Oh, please!" I laugh, brushing off his protest. "Like you could ever let me win."

He steps closer, leaning against the wall with that signature grin of his. "You're right. I could never let you win. But I was definitely trying not to look like I was dying over here."

"Excuses, excuses," I say, shaking my head, but I can't help but feel a rush of warmth at his presence. In this moment, the world outside fades away, and it's just the two of us, basking in the thrill of the competition and the connection we've rekindled.

But as reality creeps back in, I feel the weight of the unspoken words between us. I don't want to ask about what happened in the warehouse, not when we're finally in a space that feels light and free. Maybe this is our way of burning off the pent-up tension, the horniness that lingers between us like a teasing whisper.

"Let's get inside," Ace says, breaking the moment. "I don't know about you, but I could use a shower. I feel like I've been through a war zone."

Ace heads to take a shower in the smaller bathroom while I wash off my makeup and peel off my skin-tight spy suit. The fabric sticks to me like a second skin, and it feels like a relief to finally be free of it. Wrapping a towel around myself, I settle in to wait for Ace to get out.

As I grab my phone, I'm hit with a wave of panic seeing hundreds of missed calls from Luke. Shit, did I have something planned with him today? I can't remember.

The bathroom door swings open, and I quickly slam my phone face down onto the sink countertop. Ace gives me a weird look, but I dismiss it, focusing on the way his hair is wet and tousled. Damn, he looks good. The towel hangs loosely off his hips, teasing me in the best way.