chapter 3

After the university, I meet up with my bestie, jenny, at our go-to coffee shop.

“So, did he finally hit you up?” Jenny asks, stirring her iced latte while side-eyeing me.

I groan. “No. Seventy-three tries and still nothing.”

She raises her eyebrow. “You serious? Seventy-three? Girl, this is next-level obsession. Why do you care so much?”

I shrug, playing with my phone. “I don’t even know. I just feel like there’s more to him. People say he’s just a player, but I’ve seen him act differently.”

Jenny rolls her eyes. “You’re basing this on that one time he helped you? Girl, you deserve someone who actually sees you.”

I sigh. “It’s not just that. It’s like... there’s this wall, and if I could just break through it, maybe I’d get to know the real him.”

She gives me that look. “He’s not some mystery to solve, Soph. Maybe it’s time to move on.”

“Maybe…” I mumble, but deep down, I’m not ready to do this.

"When we finished talking, I felt sleepy, so I told her I was going to take a nap and that I would head home."

I came home,exhausted from the day. I headed straight to my room, throwing my bag onto the bed before wandering over to the window to let in some fresh air. As I pushed it open, my eyes landed on Mattia's balcony across from mine.

But he wasn't alone.

A girl stood with him, her body pressed up against his. I paused, watching as she touched his face, and before I could even process it, they kissed. My stomach twisted, and I didn't know why. I didn't have feelings for him, but seeing them together like that... it stung, even if I didn't want to admit it.

Without thinking, I grabbed my phone. My fingers moved quickly, driven by something I didn't fully understand. A smirk played on my lips as I typed the message.

Message:

"I always thought you'd be better at kissing, Mattia. Guess I was wrong."

I hit send and glanced back out the window, just in time to see him stop. He pulled back from the kiss, his brow furrowed as he looked down at his phone. Then, slowly, he lifted his gaze and looked straight at me through the window.

Our eyes met, and for a second, neither of us moved.

A flash of something passed over his face-amusement? Annoyance? I wasn't sure. But then, with a slow, deliberate smirk, he typed something on his phone. My phone buzzed in my hand, and I glanced down at his reply.

Mattia's reply:

"If you're so curious, why don't you come and try it by yourself?"

My breath caught in my throat. I hadn't expected that. My fingers tightened around my phone as I looked back at him. He was still staring at me, his eyes gleaming with challenge.

Then, without breaking eye contact, he turned back to the girl. But this time, the kiss wasn't soft or gentle. It was intense, almost like he was proving a point. His hands gripped her tightly, and she melted into him.

I stood frozen, feeling a strange mix of emotions twist inside me. I didn't want to watch, but I couldn't look away. The message had backfired in a way I hadn't expected. Now I was the one who left speechless.