chapter 12

Sophia

I walked into the room, and the scene hit me like a fucking train. My heart stopped for a second. Mattia stood up instantly, shirtless, his chest rising and falling as he tried to say something. "Soph, I can explain," he blurted, but I didn't even look at him. My eyes were locked on Gigi, sitting there on the bed with her legs crossed, her expression way too smug for my liking.

I glanced back at Mattia, who looked like he was losing his damn mind.

"I'm sorry," I said, my voice surprisingly calm. "I knocked a few times. Guess you didn't hear me. Your mom says dinner's ready."

"Fuck dinner," Mattia snapped, running a hand through his hair. "I need to explain what you saw."

I shook my head, trying to keep it together. "You don't owe me an explanation, Mattia. You don't have to do this."

"I want to explain," he insisted, his voice low but urgent, like he was scared of what I might be thinking.

I glanced up at him, and my mind was racing. I'm not his girl. He doesn't owe me anything, and I sure as hell shouldn't care this much. Why the fuck am I even feeling like this?

"After dinner," I finally muttered, forcing myself to sound steady. "We'll talk. Even though you don't have to."

"I want to," he repeated, almost like he was swearing it.

I didn't say anything else. I just turned and walked out of the room, making my way downstairs. My heart was pounding, but I sat down with Georgia, trying to act normal. We waited in silence, the air thick with tension. Five minutes later, Mattia came down the stairs, now wearing a black t-shirt.

We sat around the table, and even though the tension was thick, I kept my composure. Mattia was on my right, quiet as hell, while Georgia sat across from me, calm as always. She was older, around my mom's age, and I respected her too much to let anything slip, even with all the shit going on.

"So, Sofia, do you like the food?" his mom asked, her voice soft.

"Yeah, it's really good. Thank you," I replied politely, though my mind was racing.

Georgia raised an eyebrow but didn't push. "You're quieter than usual tonight," she said, her tone calm but direct, like she always was.

I glanced at her, feeling the weight of her words. "Just trying to eat," I said softly, keeping my cool. I respected her too much to snap back.

After I left the dining room, I rushed to my room, shedding the dress from the party.

I pulled on a pair of black shorts and a tight black crop top that hugged my body in all the right ways. Feeling a bit more like myself, I flopped onto my bed and grabbed my phone, desperate to forget the awkwardness of earlier.

 Feeling a bit more like myself, I flopped onto my bed and grabbed my phone, desperate to forget the awkwardness of earlier

Just as I was scrolling, my phone buzzed with a notification. It was from Jack, my new friend from the party, he is so cool.

He sent a photo with a caption that read, "I found this on my phone."