Chapter 52-An Unfamiliar Home

Sathya leaned against the car window, the familiar yet distant sights of India whirling past. Her parents chatted quietly in the front seat, her sister texting away in the back. Everything felt surreal-she was home, but it wasn't the same home she remembered. The last time she was here, she had been a different person, someone less experienced, less sure of herself.

As the car turned down the narrow streets toward their house, memories flooded her. The scent of street food lingered in the air, the chaotic energy of people and motorbikes zipping past gave her a strange sense of nostalgia. But this wasn't the Canada she had left behind; it wasn't the peaceful, predictable life she had grown accustomed to. India was alive-vibrant and intense. And in that moment, she didn't know if she was ready for it all.

"Sathya, we're almost home," her mother said, glancing back with a warm smile. "You'll be able to relax soon."

Sathya nodded, giving her mother a small smile in return. Her heart pounded as they pulled into the driveway of her family's house. The large gate opened, revealing a house that had been her sanctuary once but now looked like a stranger. It hadn't changed physically, but it felt foreign-like a place from another life.

Her father carried her luggage inside as her mother pulled her by the hand, eager to show her the changes made to the house. The walls were freshly painted, the furniture rearranged, but there was something missing, something she couldn't quite place. Her room, however, remained untouched, a time capsule of the girl she once was.

"Look at this," her sister, vidhya, called out, holding up an old photo frame. It was a picture of the two of them from seven years ago, before Sathya had left. They were grinning, carefree, with no idea how much life would change.

Sathya smiled at the memory. "We were so young."

"We still are," vidhya teased, tossing herself onto Sathya's bed. "But you've changed so much, Sathya didi. It's like you're a different person."

"I guess I am," Sathya admitted softly. She had grown in ways her family probably couldn't see yet. They would soon enough.

They spent the evening catching up, her parents asking about her life in Canada, her job, and her friends. Sathya shared as much as she could without revealing the deeper, more complicated emotions she was grappling with. She wasn't ready to talk about Sidh or the real reason why she had avoided coming home for so long.

Later that night, after everyone had gone to bed, Sathya sat on her balcony, looking out at the quiet street. The air was thick with humidity, a stark contrast to the cool Canadian nights she was used to. She stared up at the sky, searching for familiar constellations but finding none. The stars here were different, too. Everything was.

She pulled out her phone, hesitating for a moment before sending a message to Ava:
"I'm here. It's... different."

Ava's response came almost immediately:
"How are you feeling?"

"I'm not sure yet. It's all so strange. Feels like I don't belong."

"Give it time. It's just the beginning. You'll find your place again."

Sathya sighed, hoping Ava was right. She turned off her phone and rested her head against the chair. She didn't want to admit it, but a part of her was scared. Scared of what her family expected of her. Scared of the weight of tradition that would soon press down on her. And most of all, scared of losing herself in the process.

The next few days passed in a whirlwind of family gatherings. Sathya was paraded in front of relatives, each one commenting on how beautiful she had become, how much she had changed. Her mother's pride was evident, but there was an unspoken pressure lingering in her words, a subtle hint that Sathya knew all too well-marriage.

"So, Sathya," one of her aunts began as they sat down for tea, "have you thought about your future? Your mother says you've been so focused on your career... but now that you're back..."

Sathya forced a polite smile. "I haven't really thought about it yet."

"Well, you should," her aunt continued, oblivious to Sathya's discomfort. "You're at the perfect age. There are some lovely families your parents have in mind."

Her mother's eyes sparkled with expectation, but Sathya's heart sank. This was exactly why she had stayed away for so long.

Later that evening, she sat with her mother in the kitchen, helping prepare dinner. The house was quieter now, just the two of them. Her mother moved gracefully, chopping vegetables while Sathya stirred a pot on the stove.

"Sathya," her mother began softly, "I know it's a lot, being back here. But we've missed you so much. And... I know this isn't easy for you."

Sathya paused, her spoon hovering above the pot. "Mom, I don't know if I'm ready for everything you and Dad want. Marriage, settling down... I've barely figured out my own life."

Her mother sighed, turning to face her. "I know, beta. But all I want is for you to be happy. You've built a life for yourself in Canada, but don't forget where you come from. This is your home, too."

"Is it?" Sathya whispered, more to herself than to her mother.

Her mother stepped forward, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Give it time. You'll see. You'll find your way here."

Sathya nodded, though she wasn't sure if her mother's words could ease the turmoil brewing inside her. There was so much more she needed to figure out, and she wasn't sure how much time she had before the weight of expectations crushed her.

As the days stretched on, the familiar scent of Indian spices and the vibrant chaos of life here began to settle into her, but so did the looming pressure of the future her family had planned for her.

For now, she would take it one day at a time.