11: deception

-------------------
MAVIS

The days stretched longer than I expected after that hospital incident.

For the first time in my life, I forced myself to stay away from Ashi.

It wasn't easy.

Every time I saw her across the hallway or sitting with her friends, my gut twisted, instinct begging me to go over and make some snide remark, tease her just to see that spark in her eyes.

But no. I couldn't.

I had to pretend like she didn't exist, even if I hated every second of it.

Ashi's words from that day still rang in my ears. She told me I didn't know her, and maybe she was right.

I was so caught up in chasing her, trying to win her over, that I didn't really see her. That stung more than I'd like to admit.

So I decided to give her the space she asked for or at least make her 'think' I was giving her space.

But deep down, I had a plan. And it was working.

I knew it was working when I caught her looking at me in the cafeteria one afternoon, her gaze lingering a little longer than usual.

Maybe it was guilt, maybe it was curiosity. Either way, I didn't look back. I kept my distance, even though it killed me to do so.

"Ang tagal mong hindi pinapansin si Ashi ah" Gian nudged me with his elbow as we sat in the courtyard. "Parang iba na'to, Mavs. Ano na plano mo?"

I smirked, shrugging. "Patience is a virtue, bro. Wala pa tayo sa exciting part" Ngisi ko.

Gian laughed, shaking her head. "Sure. Pero parang ikaw na ang hindi makatiis, pre. Make a move na kasi"

I didn't answer, but she wasn't wrong.

It had only been a few days, but I was dying to talk to her, to see that fire in her eyes, to make her blush and argue with me again.

But I couldn't break my own plan. Not yet.

Then, on the fourth day, something unexpected happened.

I was sitting in the library, pretending to read a book, when Ashi approached me. Her footsteps were soft, but I'd recognize her presence anywhere.

My heart pounded in my chest, but I kept my cool, not looking up right away. When she finally sat across from me, I could feel her eyes on me, waiting for me to speak.

But I didn't.

Instead, she was the one who broke the silence.

"Mavis" She started, her voice a little hesitant. "Can we talk?"

I raised an eyebrow, looking up from the book like I hadn't been anticipating this. "Talk about what?"

She fidgeted with her hands, her fingers twisting nervously. "I—" She paused, biting her lip before continuing.

"I feel bad about what happened. Y'know, the whole muffin thing. It wasn't entirely your fault, and I—I shouldn't have put all the blame on you."

Her admission caught me off guard. I'd been expecting her to say something, but not this.

Not an apology. I tried to hide the surprise on my face, but my heart skipped a beat hearing her say those words.

"Okay" I said nonchalantly, closing the book and leaning back in my chair. "So what do you want me to do about it?"

She looked a little flustered, like she wasn't expecting me to be this calm. "I wanted to make it up to you. Maybe we could grab a meal? Or something. My treat." She offered.