1: unfinished business

---------------
ASHIANNA

"You stupid red-haired girl!" I yelled, my fist clenched, ready to punch her.

But before I could swing, her glare froze me in place as hee hand gripped my wrist, stopping me cold.

"What a nosy girl," She scoffed, roughly throwing my hand away with a sneer.

"Mavs, that's enough," One of her members interjected, stepping between us.

With a dismissive wave, they walked off, leaving me behind, standing alone with a clenched fist, seething.

Inis kong sinundan sila ng tingin at pinunasan ang sarili. "What a freak" I muttered.

"Ash?" A familiar voice called out, soft but surprised. I turned, meeting the widened eyes of someone I hadn't seen in a long time.

"Mali?" I gasped in shock, but my voice was shaky. "Hey, it's nice to see—"

Pak!

The sound echoed in the air before I could finish. My cheek stung painfully as Mali's hand landed a sharp slap across my face, the sudden heat of it taking me by surprise.

"Mali!" Another voice piped up in shock. "Ash?" It was Jai, her eyes wide as she rushed over, her gaze darting between me and Mali.

"Ashiii!" Sam's voice followed, equally shocked, her eyes locking onto my reddened cheek as I rubbed it, trying to ease the sting.

They both glanced at Mali, who was already on the verge of tears. My chest tightened at the sight, and I could only look at them with sad eyes.

"You little bitch," Mali cried, her voice breaking.

Before I could react, she pulled me into a fierce hug, sobbing against my shoulder. "Why did you disappear like that? Bakit ngayon ka lang nagpakita?"

I sighed deeply, feeling my own emotions bubble up as I wrapped my arms around her. "I'm sorry..." Was all I could muster, my voice barely a whisper.

Jai and Sam joined in, surrounding me with warmth as they all embraced me tightly.

After a moment, Mali pulled back slightly, her tear-stained eyes scanning my face. "Does it hurt?" She asked softly, her fingers gingerly brushing my still-burning cheek.

I rolled my eyes playfully, trying to lighten the mood. "Should I slap you too so you can find out?" I snapped and she pouted, her lips trembling as she sniffed, trying not to laugh.

"Ang tagal mong nawala, huh?" Mali mused, her tone softening. She wiped her eyes and sniffled again. "What happened?"

I shook my head. "Long story," I muttered as we walked out of the café, the cool breeze a welcome relief against my cheek.

Mali, Jai and Sam had known me since childhood. We were inseparable until life had taken an unexpected turn.

My dad decided to move to Canada for business and for my sake, taking my brother and me with him.

After my brother grew older and was ready to take on responsibilities, he returned here to Manila to manage our company as I stayed behind for a while, dealing with everything in my own time.

"How long have you been back?" Jaira asked as we sat down on a bench in the park, the sun casting a warm glow around us.

"About... thirty minutes?" I answered, giving her a small shrug.