14: feeling

-----------------

Ashi sat quietly on the grass in the garden of their home, the cool breeze of the evening brushing against her skin.

The moon was full and bright, casting a soft glow over the entire yard.

Above her, the sky was a canvas of stars, billions of them twinkling in the night.

But none of it seemed to matter to her as she stared blankly ahead, lost in the ache of the memories that haunted her.

Her thoughts drifted to her mother—the only person who had loved her unconditionally, but who was now nothing more than a distant, painful memory.

Ashi's mother had died when she was just a child for saving Ashi from a tragic accident.

That moment was etched deep in her soul, an unhealed wound that reopened every time life hit her hard.

Now, she felt that familiar sting again, the weight of betrayal pressing heavily on her heart. She hated her mother for leaving her yet she was still her comfort whenever she was hurt.

"Mom..." Ashi whispered into the silence, her voice trembling. "Do I really deserve this pain?" She asked.

"Bakit mo pa ako sinagip noon? Bakit kailangan ko pang maramdaman lahat ng ‘to?" She wiped away the tear that rolled down her cheek but couldn't stop the flood of emotions from breaking through.

Her chest heaved as silent sobs overtook her. "Ang hirap, sana nakinig nalang ako sayo, sana nandito ka pa rin sa tabi ko, I thought kaya ko na po" She whispered.

"I thought for once nakalimutan ko na, pero Mom she made me feel valid kasi eh— like what you always do"

The fresh sting came from Mavis, the girl who had played with her heart. Mavis had led her on, made her feel special, and for a moment, Ashi thought maybe—just maybe—there was something real between them.

But it had all been a game. A cruel game that ended with Ashi's heart shattered, as Mavis got what she wanted and discarded her like she meant nothing.

Ashi curled her knees to her chest, hugging them as if it could somehow hold her together. "I thought she cared about me... but she didn't" She whispered to herself.

It was in this moment of deep pain, with tears still fresh on her face, that her brother Ian returned home.

He spotted her from a distance, the way she sat alone in the grass, her figure illuminated by the moonlight.

Concern filled his chest as he walked towards her, his footsteps soft against the earth. Though they weren't particularly close, Ian couldn't ignore the obvious pain radiating from his little sister.

Without saying a word, Ian sat down beside Ashi, close enough to let her know he was there but far enough to give her space.

For a while, he didn't say anything, simply watching her out of the corner of his eye. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, he broke the silence.

"Alam mo, kahit hindi tayo masyadong nag-uusap, I hope you know na nandito ako." His voice was gentle but firm. "Kung ano man 'yung nagpapabigat sa'yo, pwede mong sabihin sa akin— makikinig ako"

Ashi hesitated. She wasn't used to opening up, least of all to Ian. Stubbornly she wiped her tears away, acting tough yet she failed.

They had never really been the type of siblings who confided in one another. But something in the softness of his voice, the way he was just there, broke down her walls.