9: too sweet

------------------
MAVIS

Days turned to weeks and months, everyday was a progress. But today was different.

I had never seen Ashi look so tired. She'd been buried in schoolwork all week, barely giving me more than an irritated glance each time I teased her.

Her usual fiery energy was dimmed, and I couldn't help but feel a little guilty, knowing that my persistent antics probably weren't helping her exhaustion.

That's when I got the tip from someone—Ashi loved peanut butter muffins.

"Muffins, huh?" I murmured to myself, staring down at the fresh batch I'd just bought from the local bakery.

Someone had told me they were her favorite—especially with peanuts inside. It was perfect.

Maybe this would finally break down the walls she had built around herself. A little sweetness to melt the cold exterior she always wore around me.

My heart was racing as I made my way toward her, the muffin wrapped neatly in a paper bag.

Ashi was sitting by herself near the campus courtyard, her backpack beside her, papers and notebooks sprawled across the bench.

She had that look—frustration mixed with fatigue. Perfect timing.

"Ashi" I called out, grinning when she looked up, the tiredness evident in her eyes. "I got something for you."

Her brows furrowed, and she sighed deeply. "Mavis, not now, I'm busy."

I plopped down beside her without invitation, holding out the muffin. "One quick break won't kill you. Trust me."

Ashi eyed the muffin in my hand suspiciously. "Ano naman 'yan?"

"Muffins" I said proudly, pushing it toward her. "It's your favorite right?"

Her eyes flickered, but I didn't notice any change in her expression.

She looked back down at her papers, clearly too exhausted to put up a fight. "Fine, I'll take it. But I can't promise I'll eat it right now."

"I'll feed you then" I suggested

"I'll eat it later" She grumbled.

I frowned, watching as she absentmindedly took the muffin from me and set it down next to her bag.

"Come on, take a bite," I urged, nudging her with my elbow. "It'll help you relax."

She sighed again, rubbing her temples. "Mavis, please, I'm trying to finish this."

I pestered her a little more, making goofy faces, and finally, after what felt like an eternity, she gave in.

"Okay, okay, kung ‘yun lang ang paraan para tumigil ka." She grabbed the muffin and took a small bite without even looking at it, clearly too distracted by her work to notice what she was eating.

"There you go" I said, satisfied, leaning back on the bench and watching her for any sign that she enjoyed it.

But Ashi, still deep in her papers, didn't react. She didn't even comment on the taste. I felt a little deflated. I'd been expecting more of a reaction.

As the minutes passed, I watched her eat the rest of the muffin in small, distracted bites. I have to admit, I was a little proud of myself.

This was progress—she was letting me in, even in this small way.

But then something shifted.

At first, it was subtle. Ashi's hand moved up to her throat, rubbing it lightly as if something was bothering her.

She coughed softly, still scribbling in her notebook, and then her other hand came up to her neck, rubbing harder this time.

"Ashi?" I asked, straightening up. "Okay ka lang?"

She didn't respond immediately, but her face started to change—her skin was paling, and I saw her mouth move, almost as if she was struggling to breathe. Panic shot through me.

"Ashianna?" My voice rose, and I reached out to touch her arm. "Ashi, what's going on?"

She dropped her pen, clutching at her throat now, her breathing growing shallow. "Mavis" She choked out, her voice strained. "May— may mani ba ‘yung muffin?"

My heart dropped. "Yeah, peanuts. Bakit?"

Her eyes widened in horror, and in that split second, everything clicked into place. "Ashi, are you allergic to peanuts?"

She nodded frantically, her breaths becoming more labored.

Holy. Shit!

"Pucha!" I scrambled to my feet, my hands shaking as panic took over. "Ashi, bakit hindi mo sinabi agad?!"

She tried to say something, but her words were lost in her struggle to breathe. I felt my blood run cold.

I didn't know what to do—I had no idea she was allergic.

"Help! Someone help!" I shouted, looking around wildly. There were a few students nearby, but no one seemed to notice us.

My heart pounded in my chest, every second feeling like an eternity.

I quickly grabbed her bag, dumping the contents out onto the bench. "Do you have medicine? EpiPen?"

Ashi shook her head, her face contorting with pain. "Clinic—"

My throat tightened in fear. Without thinking, I threw my arm around her, helping her stand up. "We're going, okay? We'll get you there. Just hold on."

I half-carried, half-dragged her toward the campus nurse's station, but it felt like we were moving in slow motion.

Every second counted, and I couldn't stop thinking about how I had been the one to give her the damn muffin. I'd put her in this situation.

"Stay with me, Ashi" I begged, my voice breaking. "Don't pass out. Please, just hang on."

By the time we reached the nurse's office, Ashi's breathing was even worse.

The nurse immediately rushed to our side, taking one look at her before grabbing the emergency kit.

I was pushed to the side as they administered an injection—probably epinephrine—and I stood there, my hands trembling, feeling utterly useless.

---------------

Minutes passed like hours, and finally, I saw Ashi's breathing begin to steady.

Her face was still pale, but her eyes fluttered open, and she glanced at me weakly from the hospital bed they'd moved her to.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, guilt overwhelming me. "Ashi I didn't know—"

She looked at me, still weak but managed to croak out, "You should've asked me first... "

I felt like the worst person alive. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to, I was just trying to—"

"Enough" She whispered, her eyes closing again as she rested. "Pagod na ako."

I shut up, standing there helplessly, watching her rest, the weight of what I'd done settling heavily on my shoulders.

"Leave, please..." She mumbled weakly.

I didn't know how I'd ever make this up to her.

***************
thank you for voting, it's appreciated!