An Accident

About an hour to the South, that's where the three of them came across a shopping mall outlet. There were small name clothing stores as well as small name sporting good stores.

Too Mitchel, nothing was better than those hot summer evenings when he could sit on the street and let the sun beat down on his skin. He could feel the sticky air with each inhalation; the air so thick you could cut through it. He liked that way. When a small gusts of wind blew past him, his skin would softly shiver before returning to its still, warmed state. 

It made him sleepy, like a silent lullaby of the sun was discreetly blowing his mind out of consciousness. He miss those days together. Those days he spent; just him, the Sun and Torri.

"The hell do we got here?" Dylan stepped forward in front of Mitchel and Rebecca looking into an old sporting good store. He wore a white wife-beater which was tucked into his dark green cargo pants. His M4  was slung around his shoulder.

"Want me to find a razor?" Mitchel laughed walking into the broken windowed store. "That thing is taking over your face." He was referring to Dylan's beard that he had, it had gotten worse over the winter. He looked even more rough somehow. If there was a adjective beyond lumberjack, then that would work.

Dylan points a finger at Mitchel. "Listen here, if this beard goes, then I go......When I go the beard goes." He had a smile on his face.

"So that means when you die we can shave it?" Rebecca laughed walking in with Mitchel.

Dylan stops and thinks about it. "I suppose you can." He laughed again. 

The three of them weren't afraid of any Walkers. The only time they saw one was when they were driving. It was strange though, not to see any Walkers in these spots. Areas where you would expect at least one roamer or two. However; the only things roaming the Mall outlet was the three of them. 

This store and the ones next to it were obviously looted nearly for everything. Things smashed, things tipped over. It was ridiculous how people acted when the world was coming to an end, Rebecca thought to herself. 

Rebecca used to work a gas station during the summer when school was out. She had to deal with shoplifting lightly. Especially when the kid named Tommy walked into the store. His comprehensive school uniform all messed up, a ring in one ear and a shaved head. The only thing missing from the kid to be a stereotypical criminal would be a tattoo. He always got caught, he was bad at it. But in this store right now, she never saw anything this bad before.

"There doesn't seem to be anything in this place worth taking." Mitchel sighed looking around.

Dylan shook his head. "We can't go back empty handed again." He was tired of these pointless runs, they all were. 

"We got more stores, not just this one. Lets check out the others." Mitchel said stepping over a downed shelving unit. 

He got outside and the others soon followed him. The next store was wedged between two taller buildings, the sports store and some candle shop. This one looked squeezed. The sign that hung over the door was old, some letters had become illegible in the peeling paint. 

Strangely, this one seemed untouched from the looters. The window was clean and the artifacts on display were clearly antique. There was no theme to them or color coordination and they were crammed together rather than artistically arranged. 

Dylan was the first one in the building with his gun raised, he pushed the door and a bell rang. It was far longer than it was wide, almost a corridor with shelving spanning both sides. It was pristine. This was the kind of store he would just walk by without even looking in the window, but they were desperate for anything.