VIII

"Do you think Hannah and I will last?" He asks randomly. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Nothing, I asked you the other day and you didn't answer me so already know its not something I want to hear, but I want to hear it now. Do you think I'm making a mistake by marrying her?" He looks straight at me. "And don't say its truly up to me because I know that already." He adds before I can say anything.

I sigh and look at my hands in my lap.

"No, I do not think that you two will last." I say, only loud enough for him to hear. "You guys argue a lot, more than normal. You always say she's trying to change you and from the sounds of it, its not for the better. I mean, you didn't even bother asking her to go to your premier already knowing she'd say no, there's something wrong with that." I say and shake my head before continuing.

"You should both be supportive of each other, you should be able to talk about your problems without yelling or getting frustrated with one another. She should be fine with how you take your coffee and you should be fine with her at least giving her opinion of other things she thinks you might be good at." I say, meeting his gaze for the first time.

"I think if maybe you two worked out your issues, regardless of the fact you two are polar opposites , it would work out. But at the rate you two are going, its only going to end in a nasty divorce and you guy's kids having to flipflop between your house and hers on weekends." I add.

"So there's my opinion that you wanted so desperately." I sigh and lean back in the recliner.

"Do you think its possible to love two people at once?" He asks quietly after a few moments. "Yes and no." I say.

"Why yes and why no?"

"I think its possible to be able to love a ten people at once, but I think you can only be in love with one person at a time." I shrug, not knowing why he would ask this. "Why do you keep asking me controversial questions?" I ask.

"I want your opinion on things." He states blankly. "Okay, for instance, if I loved two people at once, how would I know which I should be with?"

I think for a moment. "Not who was better, but who made you better. The one who will not only support everything that you do, but everything your future kids do."

He nods and looks in thought. The atmosphere felt thick with deep meaning, content, and confusion.

He stands up after a few minutes. "I'll be back." He says and walks out, closing the front door behind him. I sat there, eyebrows furrowed and utterly confused.

-

After he left, I just layed down in bed. He never told me what was so important from last night that he wanted to talk about and I knew he wasn't coming back since it was already 4am and the wedding's tomorrow.

I couldn't sleep.

Not being able to sleep was a rare event for me. There was days I allowed myself to stay up all night but even then it would get difficult passed 3am.

But now, my mind was all too active.

I couldn't believe that he was actually getting married - and it wasn't even because I was madly and pathetically in love with him. I had known him for years. I thought he would be the type to date a girl for 3 or 4 years before freaking out over how he should propose.

He was only with Hannah for five months before he proposed

Now, their yearly anniversary was tomorrow. It was the day of the wedding I wasn't invited to.