Chapter Twelve: Marriage

Lyanna had finally relaxed when she heard the bells coming from the sept, which led her to tense up again. She looked over to her father before forcing on a smile, trying to convince him that she was still okay.

"You are a terrible actress, Lyanna," Ned said to her, helping her out of the carriage. "Don't try and fool me, I've known you your whole life and I can tell when you are bluffing,"

Lyanna sighed lightly, trying to put on a more genuine smile. She didn't know what would happen after today, which made Lyanna feel sick with worry.

Lord Stark led his daughter through the street which the Sept was on, the pair of them ignoring the cries from the crowd surrounding them. The members of the King's Guard who were stood by the great wooden doors moved to stand next to Lyanna protectively, despite them all knowing she could protect herself if danger stood in her way. The King's Guard pulled their swords out, blocking the crowd from getting to their future queen and the Hand.

Lyanna looked over to her father as they both made their way into the sept, their arms linked together. As they entered to old, holy building, Lyanna heard godly people singing softly before she saw the great masses of people, staring at her. Most of the people there she had never seen but as she got further into the building she saw her sisters, Robb and Theon stood in front of her father's men, with the septa and Jory stood among them. On the opposite side, Cersei was stood with her two youngest children, Jaime in his golden armour and white cloak of the King's Guard and a man who Lyanna could only guess was Tywin Lannister, Lord of Casterly Rock an grandfather to Joffrey. Lyanna didn't see Robert among them, or anywhere else for that matter. She wondered where he was.

That was when Lyanna saw Joffrey. He was stood waiting for her in front of the Septon, wearing golden robes with stags and lions embroidered into them. When Ned and Lyanna reached him, Joffrey linked his arm through her free arm as Lord Stark let go of her, bowing slightly at the Prince before going to stand with the rest of her family.

Lyanna felt Joffrey pull the golden royal cloak over her shoulders and the septon began talking. Lyanna wasn't really listening but she kept her eyes fixed on Joffrey and kept what she tried to be a happy, unforced smile on her face. When it came almost to the end, Lyanna found her right hand tied to Joffrey's with a silk cloth.

"Let it be known that Lyanna of house Stark and Joffrey of houses Baratheon and Lannister are one heart, one flesh, one soul. Cursed be he who attempts to tear them apart," the septon announced to the crowd. Lyanna couldn't help but think about how much she would reward the person who broke her and Joffrey up.

As the septon pulled the silk away, Lyanna felt Joffrey pull her in. He pushed his lips against hers gently, no passion included in the small kiss. She didn't pull away, not wanting to seem displeased with her new husband. She waited until Joffrey pulled away completely before she smiled at him again. He linked his arms through hers as the guests clapped. As he pulled Lyanna back down the aisle, Lyanna avoided eye contact with her family, not wanting to look at her father or her brothers and sisters, or even Theon.

"My lady, you are my wife now," Joffrey said, smirking cockily at her as he lead her outside. Lyanna stopped him as he began walking towards their horse they would be riding back to the red keep on.

Lyanna raised her hand in the air and waved to the crowd. She watched as Joffrey glanced at her, looking at her like she was stupid. "What are you doing, wife?"

He addressed her as his wife which left Lyanna still in shock at what had just happened. She still felt in denial about the wedding, even though it had happened five minutes ago. "These will be you people one day, you need to show them respect and, one day, they will respect you if you treat them correctly," Lyanna explained, taking hold of Joffrey's hand, triggering cheers from the crowd. "My father always says that. Imagine a war comes and you ask every man in that crowd to fight for you. Those men will not want to fight for a stranger, they will want to fight for a leader who makes himself known to them, who respects them,"