Chapter 19: High Tide

"Question, what's going on with you and Chase?" Duke, of all people, asks me point blank. He's free off work today and stopped by to say hi. Stels is going to meet up with him later. In the meantime, he's been talking to me. 

Fortunately, Zeke and Chase just stepped out the surf shack to go grab something to eat. Ever since our little water fight, Chase and I have been hanging out a lot more lately. "Well I..." I pause as I contemplate it, really putting thought into it before answering, "I'm not sure." I conclude truthfully. "I really don't know."

"I'm not judging girl, I'm just curious." Duke quickly covers, "Despite what people say, deep down, Chase is still the same old Chase we used to know. He's a good guy." Duke, being the nice person he is, backs Chase up even though he has no reason to. Stella and Duke are a match made in heaven. You don't get any more perfect than them. "You know I always got your back, girl." Duke adds on a note of reassurance.

I smile up at him in warmth, "I know, and I'm grateful." I tell him before coming clean, "You know I've always had a soft spot for Chase." Duke nods, allowing me to proceed on with my explanation, "Despite everything, I still care about him."

Duke grins, having received the subtle message in my words, "You like him." He states in a matter of fact way as if certain of it. When I don't reply, his grin merely broadens, "I hope things work out for you two this time 'round."

"I hope so too." I reply quietly, my voice just above a whisper.

I know that I can trust Duke. He always keeps things to himself. He's good with secrets, as well as advice.

"Hey you two!" Stels chirps upon seeing us as she gives me a one armed hug in greeting, followed by planting a kiss on her boyfriend's cheek. "What are you two gossiping about?" She teases, knowing fully well that Duke and I detest talking horribly about others when they're not there to defend themselves.

"You." Duke smirks down at her in amusement, "Obviously."

Stels turns to me for confirmation. I glance at Duke's pleading expression before nodding, "Totally." I lie, choosing to play along with Duke.

Stels swats Duke's chest in good nature before she shakes her head at me, "You've always been the worst liar on the face of the earth, Gabs." She catches on quickly.

I shrug, clueless, "I take pride in that." I admit.

"Of course you would." Zeke chips in as he and Chase return from their lunch break. "You're lame like that." Zeke mocks me, Chase nodding in agreement - a small smile on his face as he chuckles beneath his breath.

Stels steps forward as if to hit Zeke for his remark, but he's quick to dodge her advances, ducking under her arm and stepping back from her swiftly, "Too slow!" Zeke teases her before winking at Duke, "Your girlfriend is out of practice bro."

"So are your manners." Stels defends herself and me in the process, "Ty and Leb already pick on Gabriela all day every day, you two should cut her some slack." Stels lectures Zeke and Chase, pretending to be stern. We all know she's just kidding. Stels is too nice for her own good. She'd never scold anyone...maybe Caleb - he's the exception.

Zeke turns his wandering gaze to me, "The more people that tease you, the more people that love you." He says in a serious voice as if truly sincere.

"Aww." I beam at him, "You're too sweet Zekie." I nudge him in the side with my elbow, making fun of his rare kind side. 

Zeke's expression transforms into a scowl, "Shut up."

We all end up laughing at his reaction much to his distaste.