Chapter 20: Whatever Man

Chase sits down.

I copy his movement and take a seat beside him in the cool sand. Once he's sees that I'm prepared, he starts from the very beginning, "This is embarrassing and reveals a lot, so bear with me." He warns before his eyes stray back to the calm blue ahead of us. "We started off as best friends, but there was a time in high school where I wanted to ask you out."

His opening line already manages to spark my interest as I continue to listen attentively.

"But Ty was my friend and he also happened to be the obstacle in my path in getting to you." I nod at him, now following. I always had a sneaky suspicion that Tyler had a bit of a crush on me. I never played into it though. I put the assumption at the back of my head - out of mind, out of sight. "I couldn't bring myself to be with you whilst knowing how Ty felt about you. I backed off, hence the start of my..." He trails off, referring to his player phase.

I stay dead silent, allowing him the time he needs to finish. I don't want to say anything just yet. Right now, he needs me to listen.

"I tried to focus on other girls, but you were always on my mind." Chase confesses, keeping his eyes off me, "It was hard for me to be around you - thus, we started to drift apart. Our friendship slowly started to deteriorate. Then Matt died and that was the final straw for you." I wince a little at the reminder of how cruel I'd been to him, "You wouldn't even look at me afterwards. I figured it was best I just leave."

He did exactly that and left after school. I didn't know the reason for him leaving was me. Feeling guilty, I shift in my position, unsure what to say. "I'm glad you're back now." I say hesitantly before adding, "For good?"

Chase chuckles slightly at the last part, before he turns to face me fully, "Is that a cry for me to stay?"

I bite my bottom lip in apprehension before deciding to go with it. Nodding, I grin up at him, "What's a life without a Chase Fuller in it?"

"A better one." Chase answers bitterly as if honestly believing what he'd said to be true.

"That's simply not the case." I disagree, hating to hear the horrendous view he has on himself. If only he could see himself through my eyes. Sure, he has his flaws, but he's not this terrible person he always makes himself out to be. 

Chase smiles down at me in gratitude, "You always choose to see the best in me when I'm at my worst."

I return his soft, sincere smile, "So are you?" I question him, "Are you going to leave at the end of spring break to continue studying actuarial science?"

I don't want him to go. I've just got used to having him around again.

He shrugs, "I can't be sure of anything at the moment. Things with my parents are tough right now." Chase explains, "Then again, my mother has softened up. You might want to tell me what you had to do with that?" He asks knowingly.

"Pssh. Nothing." I lie, wondering how he knew that I'd spoken to his mother about laying off him and giving him more space to make decisions of his own.

"You're the only one who cares enough to do something." Chase points out, putting his detecting skills to use, "It had to be you who spoke to my mom. You're also the one one she'd listen to. She sees you as her own."

Changing the subject swiftly, I glance up at him, "I'm glad you told me everything." I admit. If he'd only told me how he felt back in high school, our present could be very different right now. If he'd asked me out then, I undoubtedly would have said yes.

"Well not everything..." Chase breathes, confirming that there's still more he wants to say before he loses the chance, "I used spring break as an excuse. The real reason why I came back here after all this time was to mend things with you." Chase confesses, "I said that I came back to tie loose ends. Gabriela, you are those loose ends."