Chapter 25

Lilac's POV

I heard talking, mumbling and what sounded like crying..? Trying to sit up, I found I couldn't- I was too weak to, I presumed. Then I tried to simply open my eyes, to look around and find out where I was. I couldn't. I don't know why but I couldn't open my eyes, I couldn't move; I couldn't even speak. Panicking, I tried with every inch of power in my body to move, any part of my body, the twitch of a finger, the roll of my head- anything. Yet..nothing.

Then out of all the noise in the background one stood out to me. It was Michael. It sounded a lot like Michael was the one crying, and it crushed my heart. Why was he crying? Was it because of me? Everything else became quiet and I could almost make out his words, but most of it was muffled.

Michael

"This is all my fault. I don't deserve her, I really don't." I told myself as I buried my head in my hands. Ashton patted my back comfortingly, attempting to make me feel better as he spoke with his soothing voice. Nothing could make me feel better with how I felt over this. Nothing.

"It's okay, it's not your fault. As long you're here for her now and when she wakes up everything will be fi-" He began, before I cut him off in anger.

"No, Ashton, I won't be here when she wakes up. I'm the reason she's in a coma- don't you see that?" I stood up from my seat, tears streaming down my face and my face red.

"It's Steve's fault any of this happened- not yours, don't beat yourself up about this Mikey." Calum looked up from the floor to reason with me, his face showing an expression of worry and sympathy.

"Exactly! Fucking Steve got to her and I wasn't there to protect her! How did you think I felt all that time knowing it was him but having no power to do anything about it. I could've got to her before any of this happened, fuck." I run a hand through my messy hair. I hadn't slept in days and I hadn't left the hospital room either. I've stayed here by her side this past week since she was sent to the hospital, waiting for her to wake up and praying that she's okay.

"Are you going to leave her, Michael? After all she's been through you're going to leave her now? Just like you said you weren't there to protect her but now you are. Show her you're there for her and be by her side. Waking up without the person she's been needing for months is going to crush her more than anything, so why would you do that? If you're going to walk away now, don't expect her to let you back in. You don't deserve her if you leave. You never did." A voice came from the back of the room. It was a girl, she looked vaguely similar to Lilac but had dark brown hair and had bags under her eyes. Something told me that it was her sister, yet Lilac never mentioned a sister. I mean, didn't she say her Dad kicked her out?

"I made that mistake already" She carried on, shaking her head. The girl looked tired, really tired. As if she had been up all night for weeks and hadn't managed to get any sleep. "I don't suppose she's mentioned me at all. What, with me walking out on her too."

We all looked at her, confusion on our faces. What was she talking about? "I'm Lily, her sister. I left after our mom died. Our dad had became more violent to me and Lilac, he blamed us for everything. Lilac was 13 when it started getting worse. I was 16 and I couldn't afford to take her with me, I could barely scrape enough money to leave myself.. So I left her." Tears rolled down her pale cheeks. All of us felt for her, as she continued with her emotional story. "I left her with our shitty dad that abused us and I didn't realise the damage I had caused her. I mean, I was 16 and stupid. I had no responsibilities, only a chance to get myself out while I still had a chance. 3 years later the realisation came crashing down. Hard. It was in the local news that a man, our-I can't even say it- father had been sent to prison and the whereabouts of my sister had been unknown. He kicked her out and I didn't know where she was or how she was doing. I tried to reach out a year ago, after finding out she had a job and was getting by slowly. She rejected my help. She rejected me as a sister and reminded me after years of regret how horrible of a person I was to even think of doing such a thing. She told me she hated me and she would never forgive me.. Yet now I'm here I'm not expecting forgiveness.. I'm here because she's my sister and if I couldn't be there for her then, then fuck I will be now. Even if she rejects me again, I'll still always care and love her, that's what sisters are for. Now if you still want to leave, leave. But when you realise your mistake: don't expect forgiveness." She managed to choke out, bursting into tears.

I felt shocked, and stupid. She's right. How could I think about leaving her? I'm here for her. All I want is for her to be okay, after everything she's been through. I love her, fuck. I really do. I hope to god she's okay and that she wakes up soon so I can show her I'm here to protect her and love her no matter what.

Yet she's so out of reach.

A/N surprise.. final chapter! Maybe.. I forgot to mention it.. but I'm finishing this fic to move on with a new one or if you guys really want, a sequel. If you want to know what happens after this fic and if you care, then please comment if you want me to bring out a sequel- or even suggestions for a new storyline!! :-)

It's been great writing this story and I feel really proud of how much my writing has grown and changed and how this story has turned out to be. I didn't expect to get over 1k reads and I hope those numbers keep rising!!

W/ love from Izzy :-))