Home for a few days

We were standing in front of the he Gates of Suna, having just dropped off the body of Lady Chiyo. I silently mourned for her but kept it in, she knew that this is what she wanted, and I would not grieve for long. She died an honorable death.

Kakashi looked like he was about to pass out by overuse of the Sharigian. And I was not sure when, but Gai and his team where there as well, Gai looked to happy to see me.

The rest of the village stood behind Gaara as his siblings were just hovering behind him, Kankuro was leaning on a crutch to help him get around, not having fully healed.

Naruto was in front, looking at Gaara with a brotherly fondness. He seemed a little awkward as if not sure how to say goodbye. Gaara gave me a look over my little brothers shoulder, almost asking me for help. I smiled and shrugged my shoulders as I made a handsigns of me shaking my own hand.

The others gave me weird looks but Gaara seemed to understand as his hand went out and gently guided Naruto's to his own and they shook.

As that was happening I gently hugged Kankuro.

"You be careful now, red riding hood. And thanks, for saving my life." He whispered in my ear, his hood was not on so his brown hair tickled the side of my face.

"You should thank Sakura-San, makeup-chan." His arms tightened against me gently before letting go.

"Take some of the credit, idiot." I smacked the side of his head gently, as he was still healing as I moved over to Temari.

"Take good care of yourself! And watch out for your idiot brothers." I felt Temari laugh against y shoulder, it was a little awkward to hug her as she had her fan on her back.

"Come back an visit soon, Gaara gets lost without his fire to lead his way." I softly smiled but shook my head. I discreetly gave her a note.

"Give this to Gaara when he is alone. It will explain everything to him." To her surprise she saw tears in my eyes, in a soft whisper so the others could not hear she said, "What are you talking about? Are you saying no to his proposal??" I softly nodded my head as her eyes were darkening in anger.

"It is for his safety. There will be things to come and I do not wish the pain that will come to be inflicted on him if we were together. He is safer this way. It's the only way to protect him from this." Her anger died away to curiosity.

"What danger? What pain?" I looked into her eyes and whispered softly.

"This can not leave between us." She nodded before I continued,"War is coming, and I fear-" I cut myself off, holding in the emotions as i pulled her into another embrace to whisper it in her ear.

"I know, that I will not be leaving the battlefield alive. I have to spare him the heart break. Saying no is the only way that I can. Please understand Tem-chan. It's to protect the man I so deeply care for and love."

I could feel her hug me tighter as I felt a slight wetness on my shoulder.

I pulled away as Kankuro made a smart remark about how Temari and I should get married instead of Gaara and I, he quickly took that back when he saw Tem's tears.

"I'll miss you." I said to her, she knew what it truly meant but to the others it was close friends departing.

I turned to say goodbye to Gaara and met his beautiful blue eyes, eyes that held my heart from the first time that I met him.

He was hesitant, but slowly grabbed my hands. In the fours years that we have been dating I have been slowly rehabilitating him on human contact, he was doing good but it was a lot of work.