Chapter Twelve

The dress Alaina wore to the party. The middle one.

I pull into my grandparents house and I feel the tears come. I unlock the door to the house and am reminded of my grandma. It smells like her cooking and her. My mom said she was getting the will so, I'll have a few minutes to myself. (FYI I have no idea how wills work, so just roll with it for me. Thanks) I walk up the stairs and see a note from my grandma sitting on the dinner table.

Hey, Alaina we are obvious still on our trip. Hope to see you soon, oh and Chicken Alfredo is in the fridge for you. Love you baby girl!

I feel the tears go running down my cheeks. It's not fair they were amazing people and they die over a car accident, a car accident that probably wasn't a car accident. But if they would have just left later or even earlier then maybe they'd be alive. Why did they have to die, why couldn't they survive. I grab a picture of them and hold it to my chest. I walk down the hallway and into there room. It smells like my grandmas perfume. I slide down the wall and cry holding the picture frame for dear life.

I hear the door open. I quickly wipe the tears away and pull myself together. "Alaina?" I hear my mom say.

"I coming." I say and walk out of there room still holding the picture. She gives me a small smile.

"Hey honey. How are you doing?" She asks and walks towards me.

"Been better. How about you?" I ask and see a tear roll down her face.

"I hate it. I miss then already and I can't stop crying. I told the little two and they cried for a hour straight and they are just now going back to normal." She says and starts crying. I pull her into a hug. I will always be strong for my family even if they can't do the same.

"We will always miss them, just like great grandma. They will never be forgotten though." I say and rub her back.

She takes a deep breath which is shaky and pulls away. "K let's go through what they wanted when they... passed on." She says and we sit down at the table.

We read through the whole thing with laughs, duh moments, and more cries.

"Ok, so we need to get the whole family over so everyone gets what the grandparents wanted them to get." I say and she nods her head. "We can get boxes and put there names on it." I say look around the house.

"Yes we should. Alaina grandma and grandpa have letters for you. They change them every week and lucky for us they did it before they left." She says and holds up an envelope to me. I stare at it frozen. "Honey it's ok. You don't need to read it now." My mom says and I look at her. I nod my head and grab the envelope. I put it by my phone and keys. I don't want to read it. I can't not right now. I need something to focus on so I start and grab boxes from the basement.

We get a box for everyone that was supposed to get something. We just started with one box and then if we needed another one we would grab another.

"Did you call aunt Jackie? She also has a letter." My mom says.

"No, I couldn't beforel, but I will now." I say and grab my phone. It takes three rings before she picks up. She has a new baby at home and is a handful.

"Hey my favorite niece. How's it going?" I her her say.

"Not great. I have something to tell you and I know I should have called earlier, but I couldn't. It just made it seem so real." I say and fight tears.

"Alaina, please tell me what is wrong." She says and I hear worry in her voice.

"Grandma and Grandpa passed away in a car accident." I say and wait for her to say something.