Chapter Fourteen

*Calum's POV*

'Nurse, she's asleep. Is that normal?' I asked and lightly squeezed Bella's hand.

'Yeah.' She smiled from across the room where Sophia was. Suddenly her heart rate dropped and the monitor started beeping.

'That's not normal!' The nurse said, rushing over to us.

'Can I get a hand in here!' She shouted out the door to one of the other nurses. Her heart rate kept decreasing until it dropped to a flat line.

'What's happening?' I shouted. I knew what a flat line meant, I just didn't want to believe it.

'Sir, we're going to need you to step outside for a minute please.' One of the nurses shouted at me. I released Bella's hand, went outside and watched from the window, tears escaping from my eyes.

'Clear!' I heard the nurse shout, pressing the defibulators on Bella's chest. They waited impatiently to see any sign of life, but there wasn't. There was more shouting going on and needles were getting inserted into Bella every second. One of the nurses took a glance at me and shut the curtains on me so I couldn't see anything.

'Hey!' I yelled, banging on the window. It was no use, they were too busy trying to revive Bella. I leaned against the wall and slid down to the floor with my head in my hands and breathing heavily. I whipped out my ringing phone and answered the call.

'Mate! What's happening?' Ashton said happily. I couldn't breathe properly because my nose was blocked, tears were everywhere and I was choked up. I sobbed into the phone, not caring about the looks I was getting from the public.

'Cal? What happened?' Ashton's voice was filled with worry.

'She's-she's dead.' I cried even harder into the phone.

'The baby or Bella?' He frantically asked.

'Bella.' I whispered. There was a moment of silence before another question was asked.

'Where are you?'

'Outside of D7, it's on level 2, turn left at the elevator and you'll see me.' I said, wiping my face clean of snot and tears. Ashton hung up the phone and soon I saw the boys hurrying down the hallway to me.

'Where is she?' Michael asked. I pointed to the room behind me. He tried to peep through the curtains but it was no use.

'She's really gone?' Luke asked.

'They kicked me out of the room as they were trying to revive her, she had no heart beat. One second she was happily choosing names and the next she's dead.' I yelled, feeling anger rush through my body. I stood up and grabbed the door handle to the room Bella was in.

'Cal, I don't know if that's such a good idea. You don't know what she's gonna look like.' Michael said to me but I ignored him and stepped inside. There she was, lying lifelessly on the hospital bed. I glanced to the monitor to see a line beeping.

'What does that mean?' I asked the nurse and pointed to the screen.

'It means she's steady and got a normal heatbeat. We revived her, although she was dead for forty seconds.' The nurse gladly smiled. I rushed over to Bella and grabbed her hand as gently as I could. They wheeled her to the recovery room and the boys joined me. The nurses had been looking after Sophia while I kept Bella company. It was a few hours before she finally woke up, and when she did, I was the happiest guy alive.

'I love you so much.' I said while kissing her forehead.

'I love you too.' She said weakly.

'You scared us so much.' I said, gently squeezing her hand.