Chapter Five

What the hell has my life come to?

    It's been a long couple of days and after everything that's happened, maybe it's best I don't know about it. Now that Damon's locked away, there's no reason for me to know. Caroline's safe and hopefully, Elena is too.

    With a tired groan, I manage to get out of bed. I nearly fall from the sudden dizziness that came with getting up to fast, but I make it to the bathroom. I freeze at the blurred sight of Vicki Donavan in the bathroom, messily brushing her teeth.

    "Shorry," she apologizes, toothbrush still in mouth, "I'm almosht done."

    "Right..." I trail off before turning away. Did Jeremy and Vicki...Ew! He's young! She's an adult! I disapprove! I shiver as I walk downstairs to grab breakfast and hopefully to see what Jenna knows.

    Luckily, she's already in the kitchen, dressed for work while eating her breakfast.

   "Jenna," I start, "do we know about..." I trail off before pointing upstairs.

    "Yeah," she sighs.

    "Okay," I nod. "No objections?" 

    "Yeah, well he could've at least tried to sneak her in," she scoffs. "Oh! I won't be here for dinner."

    "Why's that?" I question before taking a piece of fruit off her plate.

    "I've got a date," she announces with a sly smile. "With Logan." She sees my Jenna rolls her eyes. "I don't need you making fun of me too."

    "Why not?" I question as I make my way to the brewed coffee. "It's too fun." I grab a mug from the cabinet and start pouring my coffee. "Where's our cream and sugar?" I question as I search our counters.

    I look at Jenna when she doesn't answer, only to see a guilty look and her steaming mug. I give her a look that makes her go, "sorry."

    "It's fine," I sigh. "Gives me an excuse to stop by the Grill on the way to school."

    "No," Jenna chides, "because you always miss first period when you do that."

    "Shouldn't have taken the last of what I need." I shrug as I walk backwards to the stairs. "I'll see you later, Jenna!"

————

    Instead of going to the Grill like I said I would, I decide it would be a good idea to check on Stefan at his place. Trust me, I see how stupid that was now that I'm here. But it's too late for me to change anything.

    I pull the doorbell rope. Damn that is one awesome doorbell.

    Stefan opens the door, eyebrows raising in surprise. "Gabby?" he questions before stepping outside to close the door behind him. "What are you doing here?"

    "Checking on you," I admit. "Elena's pretty annoyed now that she's figured you're hiding something."

Stefan sighs before hiking up his backpack. "I'll tell her, I promise."

  "I get why you wouldn't," I admit because I do. After everything that happened last night, I'm no longer sure I want to know about this. With Damon gone, all of our problems should disappear, right? "What are you going to do to him?"

"To Damon?" I nod. Stefan sighs. "In about a week, he will be a living corpse. We'll put him in a coffin in our family crypt and leave him there for fifty years."

    "Fifty years?" I can't help but repeat. "Wow. That's a...long time." I mean, what else is there to say?

"Not when you're immortal." He hikes his bag once it starts to slip again. "Do you need a ride to school?"