Chapter 14

Michael's POV

"Hey, when did you do that?" Emily asked, flopping down on the sofa next to me and pointing at my fringe. I turned off my phone and looked up at my hair.

"Oh, the streaks and the feather?"

"Yeah, did you do that today?"

"This morning," I smiled. "You were at a lecture, I think. Do you like it?"

"I think it's awesome," she replied.

"It really suits you," said Dean, who I had invited round for the evening. I thought it was important to spend time with him, to make sure he was okay and try and cheer him up, since we all knew how it felt to spend time away from our families.

"I don't think I ever told you how awesome I think this is," I said, absentmindedly picking up a strand of Emily's ombre blue hair and twirling it between my fingers.

"Thanks," she laughed.

"I think I did tell you, but I'll say it again. This is awesome," said Dean, doing the same on the other side of her head.

"Aw guys," she said, pretending to blush. Luke entered the room and raised his eyebrows at us, causing me to go red and let go of her hair, before sitting on the sofa next to me. There was an awkward silence, then Ashton entered and raised his eyebrows at Luke. I was confused for a second, before looking around and remembering that Ashton didn't want Luke mixing with us because of his argument with Maddy. There was a sudden knock at the door.

"I'll get it," said Ashton, rushing over to the front door and opening it. I rested my head against the back of the sofa and yawned. I had gone to bed probably a bit later than I should have done the night before, and I was exhausted.

"Um... guys..." I opened my eyes to see Ashton standing very awkwardly at the door.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"I – I don't know." I frowned and made my way to the door.

"Oh shit." Standing just outside our doorway was an embarrassingly familiar girl with blue hair. Damn it, I had forgotten all about her, I thought to myself. "Sorry, I – uh -" I could tell by the smirk on her face that she remembered the night we had spent together just as well as I did.

"Do you know this girl?" Ashton asked, confused.

"You never called me," she said, pouting.

"How do you even know where I live?" I hissed.

"I saw you in town the other day," she shrugged. "You're pretty distinctive. I happened to see you coming into this block of flats... didn't take long to find out which one you lived in."

"Michael, who is this?" Everyone was starting to gather at the door now.

"Michael?" She giggled. "I didn't imagine you being a Michael."

"What's going on?" asked Maddy, entering the living room and frowning.

"Yeah, I'd like to know that too," said Ashton.

"Didn't you tell them about me?"

"Do you want to come in?" piped up Luke politely from the back of the group.

"I'm not sure that's a good -"

"Thanks," she said, smiling poisonously at everyone and pushing past me.

"Oh..." Calum made a sudden sound of realisation and looked at me questioningly. Remembering that I had mentioned her to him, I nodded grimly and followed her into the living room, where she was making herself at home on the sofa.