Chapter 34

Dean's POV

"I'd better be getting home," sighed Michael, yawning and stretching out his arms. We had been sitting here for an hour or two since the kiss, suffering Annabell's merciless teasing about how "cute" we were and shyly avoiding eye contact.

"I'll come with you," I said, standing up quickly. "Don't look at me like that," I added as Annabell smirked at me. "We just need to talk, okay?"

"Sure, whatever," she said, hugging Michael goodbye. "I won't expect you back tonight then!" She yelled as I closed the front door behind me.

"She has a nerve," I said, chuckling nervously.

"Yeah," Michael replied with a small smile, then started down the path.

"Hey, slow down." I grabbed his shoulder and pulled him into a slower pace next to me.

"Sorry," he breathed. "I'm just – I – I've never done this before, not with a guy, it's –"

"Just chill," I said, resting my hand on his arm and lightly lifting up his chin to force him to make eye contact with me. "I'm gonna look after you, okay? You don't have to do anything you're not happy with."

"Thanks," he said quietly. "That means a lot." I gently started walking again, placing myself next to him on the path but not too close – I didn't want to try to take things too fast, because I knew how nervous he was. I was surprised when he took my hand, smiling at me as we walked down the road.

"So..." Michael started, after a few minutes. "What do we do now?"

"What do you mean?"

"What are we? What – what is this?" He gestured awkwardly between us. "I mean, I just kissed you because it felt right at the time, but I don't know, if you don't want –"

"Hey, hey, calm down," I said, chuckling lightly. "I'm glad you did. I – I enjoyed it very much." I looked down at my shoes, suddenly embarrassed.

"So did I," Michael said softly. "I never thought I would feel that way... but I did. I mean... I'm going to have to think about... all of this..."

"Of course you will, I understand that. It's a big thing, realising you like guys. I get it. I'll wait, as long as you need."

"Thanks," he said, smiling widely and swinging our hands slightly between us. "But I think... I mean, obviously, it's still early on, but I'd like... I think I'd like to give this a go. If you want."

"Michael, I would love to," I said, stopping abruptly and turning so I was looking directly at him. "I think... I can really see this working." I smirked, before leaning down and touching my lips gently to his.

"What do you think everyone else will think?" he asked, biting his lip. I felt sorry for him, being so nervous, but it was pretty cute.

"Does it matter?" I asked. I was a big believer in not caring what anybody thought of my relationships and decisions.

"Well, no, but... I think the boys will be pretty surprised. I mean, they've known me a long time, and I don't want this to change their opinion of me."

"If they really are your friends, it won't."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I still think I'm not ready to tell everyone straight away though... Will Annabell tell everyone?"

"Not if I ask her not to. She'll tease us forever, there's no getting out of that, but she'll respect our decision to wait a bit."

"Good," he said, breathing a small sigh of relief. He stopped outside the door of the block of flats where he was living with Calum, Ashton and Luke. "Thanks for walking me home."