Chapter 33

Michael's POV

I shivered as I walked up the path to the door of Dean and Annabell's house, noticing as I did so a strange feeling in my stomach, like butterflies. I frowned, stopping to knock on the door. The frosty winter morning was silent, and the only sound I could hear was the thudding of my own heart. That was weird too; I hadn't been walking for very long, or particularly fast. Maybe I needed to go to the gym more often... I shook off the strange nervous feeling and huddled my shoulders into my black jacket, trying to keep the cold air off my neck. The door swung open and Annabell's face appeared, as she smoothed her hair back behind one ear.

"Ohh... Michael!" she said cheerfully, smiling widely. "Come in."

"Hi," I said, coming quickly in from the chilly wind and taking my shoes off inside the door as Annabell called upstairs.

"Dean!" she yelled. "Michael's here!" I heard a thumping of footsteps rushing down the stairs, and Dean's grinning face greeted me.

"Hey," I smiled, shrugging off my jacket and throwing it over one of the hooks on the wall. Annabell wrapped me into a hug, taking me slightly by surprise, and murmured into my shoulder.

"How are you?" she asked.

"I'm good, yeah," I said. "How are you?"

"Great," she smiled. "Do you want to come into the living room?"

"Uh, sure," I said, following her. I caught Dean's eye as she released me from her embrace, and noticed something strange flash across his eyes, something between anger and sadness. He quickly covered it with a smile when he saw me looking, but I couldn't help feeling a little curious and confused.

I placed myself at one end of a sofa, and Annabell opted to sit next to me, dragging her legs up next to the arm and leaning on me gently. Dean looked at us a little sourly and sat down across the room. What was up with him today? Noticing a photo of a couple who looked a lot like Dean and Annabell on the mantelpiece, I was reminded of Dean's family problems.

"Have you spoken to your mum recently?" I asked quietly.

"Last week, I think," he replied, chewing on the edge of his thumb. "I think she's calming down. She's more willing to speak to me now. The first few times I called, she just hung up on me. Now she listens for a few minutes, makes sure I'm okay." He sighed, rubbing his face with his hand.

"I really should get back and see her," Annabell said, a little guiltily. "I've really done what I came here to do... I didn't mean to get so attached." She sighed. "I didn't know I would get so easily attached to everyone I met over here, and to this way of life. It's so different to LA, but I've got so used to it. I can't really imagine going back."

"I'm sure once you get back you won't even remember everyone here," said Dean. I wasn't sure if his tone was reassuring or bitter, and I glanced at him curiously, but he just gave me a short sour glare and gazed back across the room at the wall.

"Oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot again!" said Annabell, jumping up from her chair. Dean looked at her quizzically. "It's Aunt Marie's birthday next week, I've got to send her card this afternoon otherwise it won't get there in time! Sorry Michael, I'm going to have to pop out for a minute – I'll be back soon! Is that okay with you, Dean?"

"Yeah, sure," he said, looking disinterested. I waited until I heard the front door slam before turning to him.

"Okay, what's up?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" he replied in a monotonous tone.

"There's obviously something bothering you. Is it Annabell? Or me?" For the first time since I had arrived, Dean looked at me directly, his green eyes piercing right through me, and I felt a shiver go down my spine. I felt my muscles tensing up, almost as though I was preparing for a fight.