Chapter 21

Michael's POV

I stood outside the door nervously and fiddled with a thread on the bottom of my denim jacket. Emily had been allowed to move back into the flat a few days ago, but Maddy's room needed to be repainted so she was staying at Chris's. I had been told all of this through text, as I didn't get to see Emily often because we were both so busy. These days I found myself feeling more and more lonely, as the boys were much more distant from me since I sided with Maddy in the argument, and I saw Emily less and less, so today I had decided to treat her. The door flew open, and Emily's surprised face appeared.

"Michael?" she asked, a smile breaking through. "What are you doing here?"

"I know I should have asked you in advance, and checked if you were available, but I only just thought of the idea."

"What?" she asked curiously. "I'm free today."

"Good. Basically, the boys and I had a session booked at the recording studio today, but they've all got food poisoning and can't go. They're non-refundable, so I thought there was no point in wasting it – we could go, hang out, you could record something if you want. It's ages since you've done any proper singing."

"Aw, that sounds great!" she grinned. "Thanks for thinking of me! I'll just get my stuff." She rushed back inside and grabbed a bag and a jumper, and followed me down the stairs.

"I persuaded Dean to drive us there, because it costs a fortune otherwise, and he was going to drive the boys and I anyway."

"Awesome," she agreed, climbing into the minibus. "Hi, Dean!"

"Hey," he greeted her. "Hey, Michael."

"That's Mr Clifford to you," I mocked, pretending he was my chauffeur. "Take me to the studio, and be quick about it!"

"Alright, sir," Dean emphasised, playing along as he started the engine. "Could I get a pay rise?"

"Absolutely not," I said, putting on my best posh accent. "We pay you far too much already."

"What about a... favour, shall we say?" Dean asked, his voice deepening and taking on a seductive tone. "I've heard all the stories from the maids..."

"What do you mean? I'm happily married." I pretended to be embarrassed. "What you've heard is nonsense."

"Sure..." Dean teased. "But if you ever did change your mind, you know you'd enjoy it as well... Just ask the gardener."

"Well, I mean... Perhaps if you do a really good job on the driving today."

"Why do you two have to make everything about sex?" Emily groaned, burying her face in her hands. I laughed and caught Dean's eye in the mirror, sending him a flirtatious look, which he returned with a wink.

***

"Can I come and listen?" Dean asked, almost shyly, as we pulled up outside the studio.

"Of course," I agreed quickly. "You're always welcome." We checked in at the reception and were shown to the studio, where I spent a while showing the others the controls and stuff, which they were fascinated by, since they had never seen how they worked before.

"I've spent so much time standing outside these buildings, I never knew what they were like inside," marvelled Dean.

"I've only come in once," said Emily. "But that was fairly briefly." A small smile crept onto her face, and I couldn't help but smirk.

"Nobody's ever going to let me forget that, are they?" I complained, shaking my head.

"Nope," Emily grinned. "You're asking for it, if you record stuff naked."