Chapter 35

Ashton's POV

"Are you ready, guys?" asked Dean, pulling into a parking space close to the block where our manager's office was. We were having a morning meeting to discuss the progress of the new album, and there were more fans than usual outside the conspicuous office block, which was unfortunately a commonly-known location where people waited to meet us. I didn't mind greeting fans, of course, but I was feeling physically and emotionally exhausted and I just wanted to get on with the meeting.

"As I'll ever be," I sighed.

"Yep," added Luke, unclipping his seatbelt. I rolled my eyes sympathetically at him as we braced ourselves to open the doors. I had been spending most of my time with him lately, as Calum was normally out with Flavia since she was enjoying some rare free time, and Michael always seemed to be round at Dean and Annabell's – not that I would have spent time with him even if he was around, because we still weren't really on the best of terms after the group split, although I could barely remember why.

It all seemed quite stupid now, looking back on it a few months later, and I wished I could take back everything I had said and go back to how things used to be. My anger had faded, and I was just bored of the sadness, but I was too stubborn to try and make things up with Maddy, and I wasn't even sure she would still want to be with me. She always seemed to be able to find other guys to get with; she was so pretty, and funny, and caring – who wouldn't want her as a girlfriend? The thought made me upset again, and I tried to forget about it as I got out of the van and blinked at the bright sunlight and the constant camera flashes.

"Ashton!" I heard screams of my name coming from all directions, and I tried to smile and wave at everyone.

"Come on, guys, let's keep it moving," yelled Dean, encouraging us all to keep walking and making a path through the crowd.

"Hi everyone!" called out Calum. "Thanks for coming!"

"It's great to see you," added Michael. "But could we get through please? We're gonna be late to our meeting, and we don't want to get in trouble." There were a few laughs, and gradually the fans parted to allow us through, and we pushed through the glass doors into the lobby.

Michael had exaggerated slightly; in fact we had a few minutes before our meeting was due to start, so we took a seat on some ugly purple sofas in the lobby and waited to be called in to see our manager. I stared absentmindedly at the strange abstract art on the walls, before turning to Michael, who was sitting next to me.

"Listen, I think we need to talk..." I began. "Perhaps this isn't the best time to have this discussion, but I'm just so bored of all this. I'm really sorry for being distant from you recently – I was being stubborn, and stupid, and I thought that arguing with anyone who was still friends with Maddy would make me feel better. I know I can't expect you to forgive me immediately, but I just wanted you to know that I want my friends back."

"I'm glad," Michael replied with a sigh of relief. "Seriously, Ash, I forgave you a while ago – I understand it was really hard for you, breaking up with Maddy, I was just waiting for you to realise we were still gonna be here for you even if we were still talking to her. I never stopped being your friend."

"Aww," I said, feeling a lump in my throat as he embraced me tightly. "I really am sorry."

"It's okay, really," he smiled. I shoved my hands in my pockets, feeling much better now I had made up with all my friends.

"It's hot in here," Dean said, taking off his jacket. "Do you guys mind..."

"Course not," said Michael, winking at him. They were still doing that pretending-to-flirt thing? It confused me a little; I wasn't sure if they really were just friends joking around, or if it was one of those situations where it could become real if both of you wanted it to. Dean rolled his eyes and shrugged the coat off his shoulders, revealing the black t-shirt he was wearing underneath. I noticed a tattoo poking out from under the short sleeve.