Fourteen

I shot straight awake at 2 AM. My heart was thumping loudly, and my eyes were twitching. The hair on the back of my neck stood on end. Something was not right..

Stephane was fast asleep next to me, curled up in a fetal position under the blankets. She was usually up when things happened.

CRASH!

The crash came from the living room. I got up, slipping on pajama bottoms and a Beatles t-shirt. I grabbed a pistol I had hidden in a bottom drawer.

Very silently, I opened the door. I didn't want to make a sound in case someone or something, was in the house.

I had the pistol up in a firing position, in case if the thing got in front of me. I creeped slowly along, making sure I didn't get spotted.

I could hear the breathing of the person, it was deep and husky. A light turned on. I jumped back at the last moment.

"Jack?"

Stephane was up, rubbing her eyes with her balled up fists.

"Get down.. Now."

She looked confused, then obediently went flat on the floor. The person was silent, I couldn't pin point where he or she was.

"Freeze!"

The person in front of me had on all black. I shot up, shooting his leg. He fell to the ground, moaning. I stood up, grabbing Stephane off the floor and putting her in my

room.

"Stay here. There's an iron bat in the closet."

I made sure she ran over there before I closed the door.

"Who are you?!"

I turned, the man off the floor. He was gone. I heard footsteps however, and I shot in the direction. There was a thud, nothing more. I walked slowly to the living room, and I saw him on the ground.

I had the gun up, just in case. I kicked the knife away from his hand and rolled him over.

Pale skin, brown eyes, blonde hair. Hmm.. I kicked his legs, THUD. Legs don't make that thud.

"Jason! Oh my God!"

"Wait what?!"

Stephane ran to the man and put her head on his chest.

"This is my brother!"

"What?! Oh my God!"

I pulled off his sweater and looked for wounds. I shot his 'leg' and I shot his shoulder.. Great. Wonderful thing to do.

"Why did he break in though?!"

Stephane began searching his pockets. Inside was a packet of white powder. Cocaine.

"Oh my God..."

";Your brother does drugs?"

"No! Not as I remember anyway.."

"Lets call an ambulance. Come on."

I grabbed Stephane's phone and dialed 911.

I told them the whole problem and they said they would be over right away.

"You know they might arrest your brother."

"No.. They can't."

Stephane's brown eyes were filled with tragedy. I couldn't let this happen, but at the same time, her brother had illegal substances on him.

"I'll try to do something okay?"

Stephane nodded. I felt so bad, but I knew him being in jail for a night or two was the right thing.