Eighteen

Stephane and I were laying down on the jail cell beds while waiting for her parents to arrive. Only her mother entered the jail and I got confused.

"Where's your dad?" I asked her.

"He.. He passed away from cancer a year ago."

"Oh.."

"Don't mention it to my mom please."

"So what happened now Steph? Being a whore and buying drugs?"

"They weren't mine!! And how am I a whore?! I've slept with one man!"

I sat there, not wanting to say anything. Mrs. Adams was scary. And I see she's not a big fan of her daughter.

"You were a waste of an egg!"

That's when Stephane went dead silent. Her brown eyes were full of pain. Her mother smirked. I wanted to say something so bad. But I didn't know what TO say.

"Mrs. Adams.. That's wrong."

"You speakin' for her?"

"No.."

"Stephane.. I don't even want to claim you anymore. I'm taking Jason."

"HE'S THE PROBLEM MOM!"

"JASON'S PERFECTLY FINE! I KNEW AS SOON AS I SAW YOU COME OUT I WOULD REGRET YOU!"

Those words were a whip to Stephane. I know that by the way she flinched and bowed her head.

"That's right be ashamed! I'm leaving!"

She slammed the door and Stephane just crumpled to the ground.

"I tried to support our family and I did. Jason did nothing."

Tears were streaming down her face, her brown eyes looking like mud.

"Stephane.."

"I am worthless!"

"You are not! I love you for everything you are! You. Are. Not. Worthless."

She sat there for a moment before an officer walked in.

"Stephane Adams? You're coming with me."