One: The Train Ride.

"Good luck, Daniel," Nicole Howell whispered to her 11-year-old son. "You'll be an amazing wizard. Have a good term!" She hugged her son one last time.

He smiled and boarded the scarlet train, lugging his heavy baggage behind him.

He stood around awkwardly as he looked around the train for an empty cabin. He didn't know he was a wizard until his letter came in two months prior. He was extremely nervous and did not want to embarrass himself.

He sat down in an empty cabin and looked out the window at the crowd of anxious and proud parents. He spotted his mother and waved. Suddenly, two things happened at the same time. Firstly, the train lunged forward, first slowly but increased steadily. Secondly, a raven haired boy practically threw himself into the seat across Dan. The boy smiled, and his blue eyes shone as he stretched his hand outward towards the other.

"Hi! I'm Phil! What's your name?"

Dan hesitated before reluctantly stretching his hand towards the stranger.

"I'm Daniel. Howell. Everyone- well, not everyone, b-but most people," Dan looked towards his shoes, "call me Dan."

Dan cursed himself for most likely scaring off a possible friend, but Phil smiled at him and shook his hand.

"Nice to meet you, Dan." Dan laughed nervously. "So, what House do you hope to land in? I'm hoping for Gryffindor! All my family's been Sorted into that house. I think I'd hex myself if the Hat Sorted me in Slytherin. That's the worse House, you know that though, don't you? You seem like a Gryffindor, Dan!" Phil looked a bit flustered after ranting but waited patiently for Dan to respond.

"Oh - sorry. What are - what's - what?" Dan didn't know where to begin. He hadn't been able to comprehend a single word Phil had said, but he seemed excited. Phil smiled.

"You're Muggleborn, aren't you? That's okay, I'll teach you everything you need to know."

Dan was slightly offended. "Sorry, what? Muggleborn? What is that?"

Phil tensed. "Oh no, I didn't mean to offend you, Dan. I'm sorry. Muggles are what wizards call non-magical people. It's just a term, not meant to cause anyone distress. You just found out you're a wizard, right?" Dan nodded, feeling better. Phil continued. "Anyway. There are four Houses, named after the Founders of the school; Godric Gryffindor, Rowena Ravenclaw, Helga Hufflepuff and Salazar Slytherin.To be in a certain House you have to display different traits. Gryffindors are brave and chivalrous, while Ravenclaws are intelligent and creative. Hufflepuffs are kind and fair, and Slytherins . .they're cunning, to say the least. But Dan -" Phil lowered his voice. "I'm not trying to be offensive, but my mum and dad told me that nearly every evil witch or wizard has come from the Slytherin House. You-Know-Who was a Slytherin, and he has been defeated by a Gryffindor! I just know I'll be in Gryffindor, my dad says I'm just like Harry Potter. He's my role model." Phil finally took a breath and looked out the window at the green landscape. "I hope I'm in Gryffindor," whispered Phil to himself before falling asleep.

Dan was overwhelmed by this bit of information. Up until June, near his eleventh birthday, he had no idea wizards had even existed. He thought his mum was pulling a joke on him. But she was crying, saying how happy she was. He had no choice but to believe.

Now this strange, yet quite nice, boy he just met had told him all of this and dozed off like it cost him no effort. "What a weird kid," Dan said before taking a nap.