Chapter Three - Rice Cakes

"Haneeeeuuulll!"

"Teach me please Haneeeuul!"

"Haneeeul please teach us!"

Haneul chuckled at her classmates. It was hel-exam week again. Time flew fast. "Okay okay." She stated.

"Yaaaay!"

Her classmates gathered near her, ready to listen to her explanation in math. Math is one of her biggest enemies but she had to pass. "It's like this......"

It lasted for a good 30 minutes and the teacher arrived with the test papers. "Okay, keep your reviewers and other things. I must only see your pen and correction fluid."

The exam started and as usual, Haneul was the first to finish everything. She always want to go home early to escape tons of questions from her classmates and schoolmates. Not that she doesn't want to share. It's just that she doesn't want to talk a lot to people she's not really close with.

-

She arrived at her small home. It's like an apartment except that it's just a bit bigger than a room. As soon as you enter, you'll see the kitchen and the living room that has no television (Haneul prefers reading). And on the left side, is her bed but she put curtains to have privacy and stuff. To her it was just not any room. It was her safe haven. The only place she has that would make her feel safe. It was actually a room on a rooftop of an apartment.

She sat on the couch reading. "Ugh I don't get it why we have to study math, chemistry, physics, and stuff that are not really useful in life. School must teach more about life." She mumbled to herself. "Algebra and trigo and whatever wouldn't be useful in the future."

Haneul complains, but she studies anyway. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. She sauntered towards the door and opened it only to find a boy that looks a bit older than her.

"Hey, I just moved here. Not technically here but on the last floor of the apartment. People said there's someone living on the rooftop." He said. "And here have some of these. I made them myself. I figured it would be nice to give my new neighbors some rice cakes."

"Oh thank you." Haneul smiled as she took the plate of rice cakes. "Well, welcome to your new apartment?? Or welcome to your new home?? I-I'm sorry I'm just not really good in making a conversation with other people. You know, makes me feel all nervous and stuff."

The boy chuckled at her. "It's okay, I don't bite. By the way, I'm Wonwoo."

"I'm Haneul." Haneul said.

"Wait, are you the girl who visits Mrs. Park in the hospital?" Wonwoo asked, smiling due to the coincidence.

"Ah yes!" Haneul chuckled. "So you're the nurse."

"Explains my outfit." Wonwoo winked. "Mrs. Park tells me a lot about you sometimes. She does not prefer talking to nurses. If she's in a good mood, that's the time she would talk to me."

"I-Is that so?" Haneul said laughing awkwardly. She's really not good in talking to other people. "Anyway, if you need anything just ask me or people near your door. I mean, mine is pretty far. I mean, you still have to ride the elevator or use the sta-"

"Got it, Haneul." Wonwoo smiled to her. "Well, I gotta go now! See you!"

"Yeah uh see you."

When he left, Haneul closed the door. She placed the plate on the table and observed the rice cake. "Hmm. It looks delicious." She took a bite.

And another bite. And another.

-

It's been few weeks since Wonwoo moved and she still haven't returned the plate. This time, she had the courage to return it to him.

"Okay Haneul." She walked downstairs but stopped midway. "Great, I don't know what room he's in."

"Haneul?"

She looked down and saw Wonwoo with a bucket. "Wonwoo!" She ran down and said, "I'm sorry if I did not return the plate. Here."

"Oh I'll take it later." Wonwoo smiled. "Can I hang this on the rooftop? It's my day off and I decided to do laundry but I remembered I don't have much space for hanging my clothes."

"Ah yeah sure sure no problem." Haneul responded and the two went upstairs.

-

"Don't you get shivers when you inject patients?" Haneul asked. "I mean I get it that you're a nurse. And you know injecting needles and stuff."

"Hmm, not really." Wonwoo replied hanging the blanket. "I think it's fun."

"I-It's fun?" Her eyes widened. "How-that's injecting needles on a skin/flesh."

"I'm a nurse after all." Wonwoo smiled at her. "But it feels like shiz when your patient dies and stuff."

"Is that so?" Haneul said, unwrapping another lollipop to give to Wonwoo.

They were at the rooftop. Wonwoo hanging his uniform and blanket while Haneul sat there watching and talking to him.

"You said you weren't good at talking to people." Wonwoo said, hanging his last uniform.

"Yes, it's true. But you gave me food so you're an exception." Haneul said offering the lollipop to him which he took. Then he sat beside her. "I mean, you don't look harmful well except that you're a nurse."

"Should I take it as a compliment?" He asked tilting his head on the right.

"Huh?"

"The nurse and being not so harmful part." Wonwoo looked at her.

"N-no. No! I mean like no, it's not an insult or something." Haneul stuttered. "Did I offend you?"

"No," Wonwoo laughed and it was surprisingly music to her ears. Maybe because of his deep voice? "It was a joke!"

"It was?" Haneul said with a straight face as she tilted her head.

"It wasn't funny?" He questioned.

"I-I thought you were serious."