RE-WRITTEN Chapter 8.

Their feet pounded up the dirt path, the dust forming a cloud behind them. Panic filled their eyes as distant gunfire sounded; they ran faster. Piper began to breathe heavily as her heart raced in her chest. What has he done? Her mind raced at the thought of Merle's revenge. She knew it was bad.

"Go, go!" Glenn rushed out as they neared camp. The group split off, each running off to help their camp members. Piper pulled out her gun, her aim on a huddle of walkers who had their sights set on a group of people. Carefully, she took out the walkers, with the help of Glenn; a sudden grasp on her shoulder stole her attention and she turned quickly. A walker clashing its teeth at her shoulder made her heart drop as she desperately tried to fight it off. She managed to wrangle herself from the grip and kicked its leg; the monster slumped to the ground allowing Piper to pull out her knife and finish it off. She continued helping, killing walkers and pulling people to safety as Rick ran through the camp.

"Carl, Lori!" He yelled, panic clear on his face; it soon washed away as a frightened Carl rushed into his arms. Lori soon followed tear stains on her cheeks. Piper looked around at the carnage; a lump formed in her throat and her chest grew tight. Her breath quickened before the hot tears began to trickle down her cheeks. Glenn rushed to her side, wrapping a tight arm around her, and pulling her close. She sobbed into his chest but only for a moment. Daryl, the thought raced through her mind as she pulled away from Glenn and frantically began to look around. But her eyes only found Andrea; she was huddled over Amy who lay lifeless on the ground. Piper dropped to her knees, her chest heavy once more. She lowered her head to her hands and began to sob loudly. A soft hand gently fell on the small of her back. She leaned into him, allowing more tears to fall. Daryl wrapped his other arm around her; he allowed himself to be vulnerable for her. He did not care about the crowd around them.

"Amy!" Andrea cried; the crowd watched on in silence.

"I remember my dream now, why I dug the holes." Jim announced. Piper, like the rest of the group, looked at him. Scared.

***********************************

Piper lay in her tent, wide awake. She had not slept that night, the events of the night before plagued her dreams every time she closed her eyes. Daryl had gotten up earlier though the two had not spoken yet. She decided it was time for her to give up on sleep and face the day, whether it be a sad one or not. She quickly dressed into a simple outfit and exited the tent. The Georgia sun hit her tired eyes, as he winced; the aching from lack of sleep finally setting in. She blinked, allowing her eyes to adjust to the brightness before continuing over to the campfire. She sat on a log, her eyes wandered over to Lori; she was attempting to talk to Andrea. Piper felt tears well up in her eyes and she looked down.

Rick approached the group. "She still won't move?" He asked. Piper looked up at him as Lori sat down beside her.

"She won't even talk to us, she's been there all night. What do we do?" Lori asked, concern lacing her voice.

"Can't just leave Amy like that, we need to deal with it, same as the others." Shane joined the conversation; Piper looked over at Andrea again, tears forming.

"I'll tell her how it is." Rick spoke before walking over to Andrea; he barely got her name out before Andrea pulled her gun on him, her aim strong but her face held so much pain.

"I know how the safety works." She spoke, her voice strained. Rick raised his hands above his head.

"Alright, I'm sorry." He spoke quietly before backing away. Piper watched as Andrea lowered her gun to the floor and she continued to caress Amy's face.

"Just leave her for a little longer." Piper spoke quietly.

"Ya'll can't be serious." Daryl's voice suddenly spoke up. Piper looked over at him. "Dead girl's a time bomb, we gotta sort her out." With his voice filled with anger, he stomped over to the campfire.