Chapter 1;Natali

It's my sixteenth birthday. All I ask for is money, and comics, but secretly I want to know how to use a gun. But I never told my mom that for she is terrified of everything in the whole world. She's been like this my whole life. Some nights when I was little she'd be in her room staring at a photo of something.

"What's that you're looking at?" I ask her. She started and looked at me while stuffing the photo into a drawer.

I never had a father. I had plenty of "father figures" the way my mom said it. But I don't call the countless boyfriends my mom has had as what she calls "father figures." I hated them all, I always knew that I had a father out there and he was coming for me someday.

She didn't say anything about that photo. She just stuffed it into the drawer of her bed side table. And just let me off about it saying it is not important.

It was snowing in our little town in the southern NY country. I was all ready to go to school with my bag on my shoulder and books in my hand when they called a cancellation. I was already dressed in my jeans and my winter coat so I dropped my books and bag at the door and went out for a walk.

We live about five miles from the Pennsylvanian border. I usually take the road down to the border and cross it just so I could say I've been in another state. I never been out of this town neither has my mom. She grew up here and Grandma lives here too. But today I passed the turn and went strait to the park. On the news this morning I saw that the local gate manager got killed, the second in a week. When I got to the gate the "caution" tape was still there. I saw a shining black impala sitting there so I went to admire it. Two guys came up behind me, I heard them coming, and the shorter one asked, "What are you doing?"

"Just sizing up whether it's worth stealing or not," I replied, with a sly grin on my face.

"You better not," with a disbelieving snigger, he turned to the driver door and opened it.

Before he got in I yelled to him, "You might be surprised." He straightened up and stared at me for what felt like an eternity. His eyes boring into mine, his odly familiarly green eyes. After a second or two he climbed into his impala and they drove off.

I kept walking and at the corner of the building I could have sworn I saw a man in a trench coat disappear. Staring at the spot that the guy disappeared from I thought I imagined it, but it was so vivid.