Chapter 9;Dean

"Stop here." In the passenger seat, Natali directed. After the whole 'Father daughter reunion' thing I insisted on taking her home. "If my mom sees me with you she will freak!" It's as if she's talking bout a forbidden boyfriend, I think chuckling to myself. She apparently thought the same thing because she added, "I didn't mean it like that. It's just that she doesn't talk about you all that much, so I'm thinking she didn't want me to know." Natali trailed off.

"Ok" I already stopped the car and turned it off by the time she was finished. I'm staring at her thinking, "You look just like your mother."

"Except my eyes, your eyes. I always wondered if my dad was.."

"What? Was what?"

"A good guy." There was silence.

"You better be going, Maria will be waiting for you."

"Doubt it. But I will go." She got out, went behind baby to make sure Maria didn't see her get out, smart kid, I think.

As she walked past my window I rolled it down as said, "I'll pick you up Friday at noon and I'll start teaching you defense, just a warning I'm not going to go easy on you." That made her smile.

"Eleven, and I'll meet you at your motel. Oh, and no need to go easy, I just said that to get to know you," she turned away but spun around quickly to add, "I still need to know how to use a gun though."

Then she left. And I was abandoned with a smile on my face. Watching her enter the house, disappear for a minute or two then see her shadow enter the window that must be her room. I probably stayed there for many hours then finally left when the clock on baby's dashboard said two o'clock in the morning.