{eight}

The car ride to Zayn's shared flat was almost silent and only slightly awkward.

Niall was sitting in the front beside Zayn, fiddling with the dial on the radio and humming as a new station would play another new song that he'd never heard. He'd roll the dial button between his forefinger and thumb attentively, completely intrigued by the radio. Of course, he'd seen a radio hundreds of times. But for some reason, this one felt slightly different.

In the back, Liam sat alone. His hands were clasped in his lap and his eyes were focused on Zayn's side profile. The perfect jawline that faded up into a set of beautiful cheekbones that nearly made Liam's heart give out. Zayn was gorgeous, there was no way to deny it.

Zayn sat staring straight ahead at the road, completely unblinking. His hands were clutching the steering wheel so tightly that his knuckles were turning white. He licked his lips nervously, feeling the red-hot flame that was Liam's glare heating the back of his neck. Liam was hot, and the way he was staring at Zayn was making him feel  hot. But not a good kind of hot, like being engulfed in flames hot.

Niall's consistent humming stopped, seeming that every noise that took place in the car was suddenly being swallowed up in a huge black hole of tension. He stared at his lap, playing a small game with his fingers where he would try to tap the tips together as fast as he could and then go back, except next time he'd go in a different order. He found it to be really entertaining.

Liam and Zayn on the other hand were definitely beginning to feel the awkward.

"So, Zayn. How old are you?" Liam asked finally, trying to make conversation.

Zayn bit the inside of his cheek, hating how Liam sounded so mature and sexy. It felt like he was so shy, but so dominant. The fantasies running through Zayn's mind were anything but pure.

"18."

'Daddy.'  Zayn almost added.

"Cute." Liam smiled, making Zayn nearly drown in his own sweat.

"Y-yeah. So um, how old are y-you. D-Liam?" Zayn stuttered, throwing out the other boy's name unnecessarily hard.

"Just turned 21." Liam smirked, suddenly feeling a small bit of confidence. The fact that this boy might be just as shy as he was gave him the slight upper-hand. And because of course, age defines power.

"Sexy." Zayn mumbled under his breath before he could catch himself.

"What was that?" Liam teased, leaning forward a bit in his seat so that his lips were near Zayn's left ear.

Now Niall looked up. Liam and Zayn were acting kind of like him and Harry did. Did that mean that Liam and Zayn were best friends now?

♕♕♕♕♕

Zayn took a deep breath, channeling his central chill.

"I said sexy, as in that sudden confidence you have is sexy." He purred. Liam flushed and recoiled, laying his back against the seat again.

"Still got it,"  Zayn thought cockily.

Niall stopped playing with his fingers long enough to look up and take in the tension in the car, then he turned to see Liam's face a dark shade of red that he'd never seen before.

"Lili," Niall giggled. "You look like a tomato."

Liam groaned, pushing his flat morning hair further down to cover up as much of his face as possible.

"Thanks for acknowledging that Nialler." Liam sighed.

Niall smiled brightly, "You're welcome Lili!"