crazy

Chapter 2

     Mary and Joseph , Karen's parents rushed Laya to the emergency room. When the nurse asked what happened Mary answered, " I think she fell off of a swing." They sat and waited in the waiting room until her parents got there. Laya parents seemed a little skeptical of the story.  Both of Laya's parents knew there were reasons that they should be skeptical the main reason being they knew their daughter was afraid jump from any type of height.

    Karen's family left the hospital. Her father couldn't stop fidgeting in the car. He kept thinking about the fish incident that happened earlier. He had found the pictures. He was trying to find the right time to find time to tell Mary. The images were stuck in his head.

Later that night Laya woke up in hysterics. 

"No she going to get to me." After her parents calmed her down they asked her what really happened when she fell off the swing. "She was supposed stop pushing me. But she didn't stop she kept making me go higher. Then she pushed me out of the swing while on I was in the air." 

"Oh my god. You need to stay away from her okay? Stay away from Karen." she repeated. 

"I'm gonna call her parents as soon as possible." said her dad. Her mother stayed in her room until she fell back to sleep.

Two days later Laya's parents called Karen's. They told them that Laya had suffered a concussion and a broken nose. They also told them what Laya said. Joe had told Mary what happened with the fish and had shown her the pictures that Karen had taken.  Karen did bad things like all children but never anything to that extent. She had never did anything bad to a living person or thing before. They went upstairs to Karen's room. 

"Did you hurt Laya?" Joseph asked straightforward. 

"Of course not daddy she's my best friend," Karen replied. 

"Are you sure?" asked Mary. 

"Yes mommy, I'm sure." she said  innocently. 

They took her word for it. Maybe they shouldn't have. Karen tried to talk to Laya at school but Laya would either run away or avoid eye contact. 

"Laya? Why aren't you talking to me?" Karen asked her. Laya didn't reply and kept writing in her journal. 

"Laya!" Karen screamed. The whole class got quiet and for the first time Laya looked up at Karen, fear evident in her eyes.  

"Karen! Sit down now!"Her teacher shouted. Before she sat down she turned and looked at Laya. Then something changed. Something about Karen's eyes. They were no longer blue but dark green. She smirked and returned to her seat. She tilted her head to left as she watched Laya color at her desk.

Later that day as Laya was walking home from the school bus she had a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach.

"Laya." Someone whispered. She turned around. And their stood Karen as still as a statue. Watching her with a blank expression on her face. The face she had when her dad told her that her fish was dead. As Laya began to run she got pushed down.  Karen stood over Laya and started to speak. " If you ever, ever run away from me again I will hurt you, bad." Laya closed her eyes like she always did when she was watching a scary movie. Hoping that she would open her eyes and she would be at home. Where it was safe. When she opened them Karen was gone.

Laya had not heard from Karen anymore until that weekend when she was walking her dog  "Hey Laya, hey Baker". Karen said acting as if nothing that week had ever happened. Baker was Laya's dog he was a black Labrador puppy. 

     "Do you want to come over my house and play?" Karen asked. 

"Sorry I-" Laya began to reply but then saw a look on Karen's face. Her head tilted with a big smile. "I have to get home." said Laya. 

"Come on just for a while you can go tell your parents where you'll be." Laya hesitantly nodded. She took Baker home and told her parents where she was going. 

"Absolutely not. I told you to stay away from that girl." Her mother sternly said.

"Be back in forty five minutes. That's when the big hand is on the six." Her father spoke. "We know where she is. And her parents know to be watching this time. She will be fine." He assured his wife.

 Upstairs in Karen's room. Laya looked a little nervous. 

"What's the matter Laya? You look scared." said Karen with a grin. "

 N..Nothing really i'm okay." said Laya almost stuttering her words. 

"Well I'd be scared." Karen replied still smiling. 

"I got to get home my mom might be worried." Laya said while standing up and attempting to head out of Karen's bedroom door."

Oh you thought you where leaving?" giggled Karen. She pulled out a  butchers knife and held up to Laya's neck.

 Hours went past with Karen holding Laya hostage in her room. She tried to get Laya to play a game with her but Laya was frozen with fear. A series of banging and doorbell jingles came from downstairs and Laya could feel the relief. 

"Where is my daughter?" Laya could hear her mother ask. She felt a tear slide down hear cheek.

"Remember if you say anything I will have no choice but to hurt you. I don't want to have do that. And you don't want me to have to do that right?" Karen whispered. She hid the knife under her pillow. "Stop crying!" she glared at Laya one last time. 

Laya wiped the tears from her eyes. She could hear her mother coming up the stairs. Karen put a finger up to her mouth. "Shh."

"Oh thank god" Laya thought. Laya's mom came up stairs and took at look at the surroundings. Laya's eyes were bloodshot red like she had been crying. And Karen was grinning ear to ear at her. 

"What happened? Laya what happened?" Laya's mom questioned. 

"Karen." Laya answered.

"Stay away fro my daughter." Her mother spoke with a hard tone. 

"Bye Laya!" Karen waved happily clearly unfazed by Laya's mother.

 "I should've never let you come here." Laya's mom said while following behind Laya.

 When they got home that night Laya's mom forced the truth out of her. Her mom was to say the least livid. She wasn't about let some nine year old terrorize her daughter. But Karen wasn't a regular nine year old girl.