Chapter Seven

Riley

The rest of my classes went by in a blur. I barely paid attention to any of them; thoughts of my conversation with Lucas kept my mind occupied.

When the final bell finally rang at 2:30, I immediately rushed out of the building, pushing Isaac's stroller with one hand.

Meeting up with Maya outside of the school, we headed towards the Subway station. Isaac kept quiet, occupied with a stuffed zebra I had given him earlier.

"Maya, I'm going to be late for supper tonight. I'm going over to Lucas' house." I needed to get him out of the house. After everything his father did, Lucas needed out.

"Why?" Maya's eyes narrowed accusingly.

"I...I...I..." Coming up with a lie was becoming harder and harder. "I..um...I'm working on a...school project with him."

"For what class? We have every class together except English."

"It's an English assignment."

"But I have Math with Lucas when you have English."

"He's helping me with my project."

"What's the project? I'll help you."

"No!" I nearly screamed. "It's okay. Lucas and I'll have it under control."

"Well fine then. Be that way." Maya strutted off towards the Subway, leaving me with Isaac. He looked up at me.

"Just think," I told him. "You'll have to deal with this when you're older and have a girlfriend." I paused, "Not that I'll ever let you have a girlfriend."