Chapter Twenty Eight

Lucas

I lost track of time at my old house, reading through my journal and sorting through other assorted pieces.

Next thing I knew, it was morning and I was still sitting on the floor at my old house.

Suddenly, red and blue lights flashed through the window of the front door, creating a pattern along the walls.

I froze, many different questions racing through my head. Why were the cops here? What law did I break? Did Rileys parents want to get rid of me? Where was I going to go? What was I going to do?

"Lucas Friar, are you in there?" A stern voice called through the front door. "We are coming in. Get back, if you can."

I stayed where I was. I was far enough back from the door. What was going to happen to me? Was I going to be separated from my brother? I cowered in the corner.

Knock. Knock. Crack! The door splintered, then split in half. A row of policemen entered the house.

"Are you Lucas Frier?" One policeman came up to me. I nodded frantically, panicking a bit. Why were they here? Had Riley called them, thinking I'd been kidnapped? Or had gone missing?

My stomach twisted.

"Come on Son." The policeman said kindly. "We're going to bring you home. Go on. Grab your things."

I scrambled to do as he told me to. Even though I didn't want to go to Rileys. Didn't want to face her. Couldn't face her.

"Come on Son. Come on." The policeman gently grabbed my arm to help me to my feet. He then led me out of the door and to the police car.

"You'll be home soon Lucas. You'll be home safe and sound."